Gibson Brands Forums

LP Bridge replacement?

cistec

Can anybody tell me which is the best bridge replacment for my 2 les pauls

1997 model Standard and 2006 Classic and my ES 135 2002 with a Bigsby

I was wondering about the tonepros? or should I stick with the originals or other makes..

Please feel free to be technical and tell me as much as you want I will read and decide when I see what you guys have done with your LP.

PS I am having no problems at all I just thought I could get better intonation

with a better bridge/Stoptail.

cistec

If your not having any problem with the original, then keep it, because construction wise, most bridge/tailpieces are pretty much the same. Here is a good tip for better intonation; If you turn the bridge saddles to where the slanted side is facing up ( /| ), it will give you a wider range of intonation.

PS I am having no problems at all I just thought I could get better intonation

with a better bridge/Stoptail.

Could you explain this sentence, please?

If you have "...no problems at all..." how can it possibly get any better?

As I stated ..I am having no problems I just want other peoples views on better intonation..just because I am having no problems doesn't mean mean I cannot search for a better way to work smart..like turn the saddles around, drop the tail peice so there is little pressure on the bridge, ect ect, the reason I posted this question was because I was tuning far more than usual and I thought reseach might help.

Cistec

I was tuning far more than usual and I thought reseach might help.Cistec

OK. If it's a case of the instrument going out-of-tune frequently, rather than problems with intonation, then there should be no need to think about changing hardware.

The intonation and tuning issues are, as I'm sure you are aware, seperate issues.

If the intonation is perfect (and there is no reason to doubt it would be) then, as I've said, don't look to the hardware.

As far as tuning issues are concerned there are a few things to check. the following are just two;

How, exactly, do you attach your strings to the tuning posts? Slippage may occur if attention in this area is neglected.

After fitting a new set of strings do you play/stretch them properly/enough before you get down to business?

One worst case scenario is that your tuning pegs are not holding tension. Again, this may be adjustable depending on what tuners you have fitted

If you have more/other problems then please give as many details as you can.

I added a Tonepros TP-6, a Tonepros locking stopbar, Faber locking posts and Graph Tech saddles to both of my Gibsons. I bounce around alot on stage, so I wanted the extra buffer.

The difference is day and night in regards to intonation (per the bridge) and note-sustain. Hard to pinpoint which one was the biggest benefit, because I installed everything at once, but there is a sizeable improvement.

If I'm playing unplugged across the house at night, my wife will b*tch at me to turn it down. Seriously.

These guitars are LOUD unplugged, and we're talking Les Paul Studio and SG Supreme, not semi-hollow bodies.

Regardless of what anybody says, these guitars are improved. They're louder, truer, and more resonant.

Archived