Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson LP Special Tribute DC P90 pickup adjustability

Sailor Bob C

Recently purchased the P90 version of LP Special Tribute DC AND AM UNABLE TO LOWER NECK PICKUP FAR ENOUGH TO BALANCE WITH THE SLIGHTLY   UNDERPOWERED BRIDGE PUP.

So, have purchased a Dream 180 for the bridge to quiet hum and add needed balls...... still need to get that neck P90 lower....Any suggestions?     Thanks in advance

You cant get it lower unless you want to route out the wood in the pocket.. Because of the way they screw in to the body, if you could screw them in lower the screws would be in great danger of going right through the body.....  Thats why if you look in pickup hole you will see there is a physical ledge of wood to stop it going any lower.

I have exactly the same thing with the stock P90s in my LP Custom (avatar<).  

That's the way it is I'm afraid.  You could try raising the bridge pickup or its polescrews but I doubt it would improve things.  The neck pickup, being on or very near a harmonic point, is intrinsically louder than the bridge;  I think your solution is a good one.  Not worth routing out the wood IMO.

I don't want to change my pickups - though I'm tempted by a set of 'noiseless' Fralins - very expensive - so I used a pedal boost when I gigged the guitar.

Best wishes 🎸

The LP Spec Trib DC uses height adjustment tabs at each end of the P90 pickup mounted to the Pickguard. While most other P90 LP's use a screw going through the PU with a spring under it. Since the LP Spec Trib DC P90 pickups are mounted to the Pickguard make sure nothing is obstructing the PU being lowered underneath like excess cable. If you remove the Pickguard and inspect it, you may also be able tweak the mounting tabs to get it lower, adjust the P90 height with the Pickguard off to get it as low as possible. The reinstall it making sure the pickguard doesn't bow..

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would say, if anything, the neck is overpowered. I think Gibson uses the same pickup for bridge and neck.  Swapping magnets is pretty simple with P90s. I would try swapping the neck's A5's for some A2's. The A2 is a weaker magnet, which will fix your problem. It'll also sound great. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Robzoid said:

I would say, if anything, the neck is overpowered. I think Gibson uses the same pickup for bridge and neck.  Swapping magnets is pretty simple with P90s. I would try swapping the neck's A5's for some A2's. The A2 is a weaker magnet, which will fix your problem. It'll also sound great. 

If that is the case then would it not be just easier to swap the pickups around rathe than dismantle them?

59 minutes ago, Rabs said:

If that is the case then would it not be just easier to swap the pickups around rathe than dismantle them?

I'm able to switch the magnets out but I don't know how to solder so I can't change the pickups myself. So, for me it's easier. It's also much cheaper. But yeah, if you want to get a new pickup, an alnico 2 p90 like a Duncan Antiquity would be a good route. You can also have a luthier directly mount the neck p90 to the wood of the body. This will allow you to have the pick up as low as you want.