Gibson Brands Forums

No Gibsons Available ... ?

docr

Maybe my question is a little "off topic" but I hope someone has more information. At the moment it is nearly impossible to buy new electric Gibson guitars in Germany and the offer of acoustic Gibsons is not very comprehensive.  No Les Paul modells, ES-335 etc - only few Murphy Lab or Custom shop in price range > 5.000€, nearly nothing from the original series or ES-330 (the Slim Harpo model looks quite interesting).

Do you have the same situation in the USA? Is it related to effect from Covid-19, the global transportation problem with container carriers or is Gibson just selling so many guitars that they cannor serve the market?

I´m just wondering as for example the availabilty of Fender or Taylor guitars is much better at least here in the big music internet stores in Germany. I hope the Gibsons will come back again as my last "electric" aquisitions (LP Standard, Special and SG Special) have been fine with a reasonable price.

Ok, seems to be a longer lasting topic ...  Boyd´s answer cites a thread from May. Sorry for writing more about electrics, situation is the same for acoustic Gibsons. Had the hope that the supply situation has recovered.

1 hour ago, docr said:

Ok, seems to be a longer lasting topic ...  Boyd´s answer cites a thread from May. Sorry for writing more about electrics, situation is the same for acoustic Gibsons. Had the hope that the supply situation has recovered.

No worries.   Not something you'd necessarily realize until you went looking to buy one.  Same with many other products.  Try buying a gun.  What's next?  Toilet Paper?   (At the height of the crisis - they were selling it in the Big Box Hardware Store (Lowes)  only it was made out of BAMBOO !    The New Normal !

I suppose it depends on what model you want. As I posted in those other threads, there are quite a lot of Gibson acoustics in stock and ready to ship here in the US, I bought one a couple months ago at a better price than I ever saw before the pandemic. If there really aren't any Gibson acoustics available in the EU, then that very well might have something to do with shipping containers. No idea about electrics, they just don't interest me at all. 🙂

It seems to me ,that in Canada our main dealer has Gibsons, but I dont think there has been shipments for quite some time so Im pretty sure its older stock .Im hoping to see some new stuff arrive so I can help the economy...

4 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

No worries.   Not something you'd necessarily realize until you went looking to buy one.  Same with many other products.  Try buying a gun.  What's next?  Toilet Paper?   (At the height of the crisis - they were selling it in the Big Box Hardware Store (Lowes)  only it was made out of BAMBOO !    The New Normal !

I agree - strange times 🙂

You can continue the list - no cars as electronic components are missing - no guitar effect pedals (some have 12 weeks delivery time, no boutique stuff). Guns are no topic here as you can´t buy them anyhow. Toilet paper - same thing as you described, it´s available again since last summer. But -  guitars are at least as important as toilet paper 🙂! The largest internet dealer here in Germany told me that they are expecting the next bigger deliveries in April, 2022.

So I take one of my "old" Gibsons an practice Guitar Town and Hillbilly Highway. Have a nice weekend!

10 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Did you ever see that cartoon.  A kid in the future is asking his father what he did during the great pandemic of 2020.  The answer - I was a tail gunner on a toilet paper truck.

Edited by zombywoof