Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson LP Custom Shop 2003, what model is it?

Nicolas

Hi, 

I recently bought a 2003 Custom Shop Les Paul, but I'm completely lost on understanding what model it might be. It looks, feels, and sounds exactly like an R8... but the headstock, the tuning pegs, and the serial don't. 

Any idea which particular model it could be? 

lpfront.pdf

https://www.gibson.com/Support/Serial-Number-Search

Custom Shop regular production models
CSYRRRR
CS stands for "Custom Shop"
Y indicates the production year
RRRR indicates the guitar's place in the sequence of production

I think what you have may be an R9 which has had the machine heads changed.

Best wishes. 🎸

Thanks for the response!

It's very strange, the weight, the top and the finish is all like an R8, but the headstock has original grover machine heads (which I was told there were not replaced). Also the rod bell is a little bit lower than an R8/R9, and the serial is a CS instead of an 8 or 9. That's why I'm so confused.

This is definitely not an reissue because you're right, the S/N would have an 8 in front of it if it were an R8.  My Custom R7 has the 7 to lead the S/N - from 2003 as well.  This is probably some type of Custom Shop Standard where it may have appointments of various historic Gibson LPs; the CS I believe is just Gibson Custom Shop's non-historic guitars.  The COA would have been paper from this era as well - again like my R7.  Perhaps call Gibson to find out what they have to say about the guitar. 

• Sad 1

I had a couple of Custom Shop Gibsons from 2003-2004 that I got at an auction and didn't know much about. I sent a pic of the front and back of the headstock along with the serial number to Gibson Customer Service. They told me what they were and that they were ordered by Fuller's in Houston. Not sure if they were ordered for a customer or on spec but back then the Custom Shop would make a guitar with specific features, not necessarily Historic or Reissue, whatever the customer wanted. Ten years ago Customer Service was very helpful. Not so sure nowadays. If they used an R8 body there should be markings as such inside the pickup cavity in the body. Also there should be vintage-style bumble bee capacitors in the wiring harness.