Gibson Brands Forums

I cannot let the passing of Tom T. Hall go without mention.

jaxson50

I know few people under the age of 40 would know his name, but Tom T. Hall passed away Saturday,  even though he had not performed publicly in years, his influence upon Folk and Country music as well as Blue Grass is undeniable.

The Storyteller has left the stage. 

Nancy Griffith,  then Tom T. and now Don Everly, it's been a bad week for Americana music.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how much(if any) influence Tom T. Hall had on folk music.  And likely had some influence on some country artists.  His music not in my wheelhouse, he was though, a talented performer and did deserve more mention.

Mike Finnigan wasn't exactly a household name, but I did see him in a profile about Hendrix explaining the method of playing he used on that track.   Yep.  music did take it in the nuts this week.

Whitefang

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

I'm not sure how much(if any) influence Tom T. Hall had on folk music.  And likely had some influence on some country artists.  His music not in my wheelhouse, he was though, a talented performer and did deserve more mention.

Mike Finnigan wasn't exactly a household name, but I did see him in a profile about Hendrix explaining the method of playing he used on that track.   Yep.  music did take it in the nuts this week.

Whitefang

Tom T. was not easy to pigeon  hole, he wasn't really country, wasn't really folk , although he did have hit songs in both.   He was a storyteller,  he did however perform with Bill Monroe,  recorded albums with Earl Scruggs and Fairchild and Jimmy Martin and Ralph  Stanley.