Gibson Brands Forums

2008 Gibson SG look ok?

Exhead

Considering buying this today. Fella wants $600 and I have an hour drive each way, Includes the case. Anyone see any issue with it? Looking on Reverb similar ones have "2008" stamped below Made in USA. Something to be concerned about. Is it a fair price? What should I look out for?  I let an SG get away awhile back and am looking for one.  Thanks for any help afforded.

8 views no comments an hour later?

IMG_8925.JPG

IMG_8926.JPG

IMG_8927.JPG

IMG_8928.JPG

IMG_8929.JPG

IMG_8930.JPG

Edited by Exhead

When this guitar was new it cost about $600-$700. The thing that was supposed to be attractive about this model was the price.  

When somebody sells a 14 year old used guitar for 90%-100% of the original price you would guess that you are looking at a particularly desirable model or something with unique desirable features. This guitar is the cheap version of the cheap version of the SG. The price is lower than other prices on reverb for the same guitar, but that doesn’t make it a good price. That just means it’s a particularly bad time to buy a used Faded SG

this is a $400 guitar

Serial number would indicate being made in 2007.  Used guitar prices are up right now so probably why you don't see any for less out there.

If you really want this SG model I'd say it's worth driving an hour to play it and check it out.  You might be able to negotiate the price down a little.

Now that I think of it, I had a faded yellow 05 or 07 SG Special and I really liked that guitar but I had to sell it to pay the mortgage.  UGH!

The paint work was poorly done (on purpose, I believe) but it was a great guitar.  I don't remember what the case was like, a real Gibson one or maybe it came with a cheapie.  It was probably a gig bag from the factory.

$400 is exactly what I paid for it, $400 is what I sold it for.

Just because it's not gold plated everything with an ebony fret board doesn't mean it can't be a great guitar.

The case was a little beat, inside was black hipshot 3x3 locking tuners. He asked me if I knew anyone who wanted to buy a like new Fender 212R amp. I told him to throw the amp in and I would give him the $600. Probably could of said lower but meh.