Gibson Brands Forums

2015 Gibson SG Pickup Upgrades?

CarmeloLabadie

Completely standard 2015 SG, mahogany body, mahogany and rosewood neck.

It currently has the original "57 Classic" Alnico 2 pickups with nickel covers. I find them too muddy and want more "bite".

I have a SD Little 59 / Custom Hybrid (zebra) regulat size humbucker sitting in a drawer doing nothing after I swapped it out for the Trembucker equivalent on my HSS Strat.

Wondering if pairing this with a Jazz in the neck would suit the SG. I'd keep the zebra colors because (a) it would keep the costs down and (b) if you've got it flaunt it, right?

Plan B - possibly P-Rails but double the outlay.

Plan C - open to suggestions.

What I want are pickups that don't sound as muddy as the originals. More bite, less gentle chewing. Classic rock.
Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Before swapping pickups, make sure that you have some decent 500K pots in the guitar. I don’t remember what year Gibson changed, but they used 300K pots up until a few years ago. The 300K pots make humbuckers sound “muddier” than the normal 500K setup 

Secondly, fender and Gibson have different string spacing. Depending on how things were ordered, the pole pieces might not match the strings but that shouldn’t really matter

Sounds as if you want rid of the mud without compromising the sound overall. I reckon Dub-T and Sparque's suggestions are good. 

I'm suprised that no one has suggested turning volume down (Its simple & obvious, though having said this, it wouldn't suit me either!). 

Personally I have always thought that (all other things being equal) SGs sound muddier than LPs. I expect some flak for this, but that's how it sounds to me. 

I assume you have tried to EQ this out on your amp(s)?

Edited by merciful-evans