Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Neck Pickup question

Wakejyles

Hey all! 

I bought a Les Paul Studio (2021 model I believe) off of Reverb recently, and am loving it so far! One thing I've noticed though is that the coil tapping on the neck pickup doesn't really seem to be doing a whole a lot. When I do the split coil on the bridge pickup it's a pretty noticeable difference, but on the neck pickup it sounds like literally nothing is changing. I've also noticed that when I'm playing in the bridge pickup it's pretty quiet noise wise (no buzzing or hum from electronics, etc.) but when I switch to the neck or middle positions there's a fairly audible buzz that I can hear. 

So my question is if anyone else has had an experience like this with their Les Paul studios? I'm beginning to think there might be something wrong with the wiring in the neck pickup, but don't really have any frame of reference to compare it to to know for sure. Any help is greatly appreciated! 

I'm just sort of babbling here, but, it seems that Gibson has not done a good job of grounding these guitars for some time now.

there are a lot of consumer complaints about things related to that just here in this forum.  static pops, buzzing like you're seeing..

since they've gone the interconnecting pcb route for wiring all this stuff up, it's even more complicated.

I had a 2002 standard with this same problem, where my 95 standard, and my SG w/humbuckers, is fine. 

I took it to a tech that grounded it properly and that solved it.  ..old style solder config.., no PCB.

Edited by kidblast

Any electrical experience?

Easy!  Put an ohmmeter on the output cable and split the coils on that pickup.  Should read around 7-8K ohm and about half that when split.  That'll show you if the split is working.

Then touch one lead on the metal case of that pickup with the other on the tailpiece, should read 0 and show the pickup is grounded.

I got my cheap multimeter at Harbor Freight (in the US) on sale for less than $10, worth every penny.

Edited by Randy99CL