Gibson Brands Forums

Blues on my Dove with Anthem pickup

BluesKing777

ย 

I was going to Christmas stuff on the cherry red Dove Ho Ho Ho but......didn't......

Here is a blues (or is that cherry reds?ย ๐Ÿ˜„) I played on my 2005 Gibson Dove through the installed Anthem pickup system - direct to mixer/record.

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Click here to see a large version

ย 

ย 

ย 

BluesKing777.

ย 

ย 

Awesome, funky mood you put out, here.ย  The definition of dry tone.ย  Those must be the 5 yr old strings you were mentioning earlier.

I can't aspire to get it down like you have, but I'm queuing up D. Hamburger vids, and others to break my bad f'picking habits for my 'dark of winter' project.ย  My practice toy should be here on Fri.

Thanks for all the great samples!ย  Holiday hater here, so please, no Xmas stuff.ย  When I heard a Billy Gibbons holiday song I almost shot my speakers.

https://royallguitars.com/product/royall-hg-flame-maple-parlorator-resonator-gloss-finish-w-pickup/

Edited by jedzep

3 hours ago, jedzep said:

Awesome, funky mood you put out, here.ย  The definition of dry tone.ย  Those must be the 5 yr old strings you were mentioning earlier.

I can't aspire to get it down like you have, but I'm queuing up D. Hamburger vids, and others to break my bad f'picking habits for my 'dark of winter' project.ย  My practice toy should be here on Fri.

Thanks for all the great samples!ย  Holiday hater here, so please, no Xmas stuff.ย  When I heard a Billy Gibbons holiday song I almost shot my speakers.

https://royallguitars.com/product/royall-hg-flame-maple-parlorator-resonator-gloss-finish-w-pickup/

ย 

Thanks JZ!

ย 

Baby Reso? Cool! I had better drag out a reso tomorrow. Only complaint - mine are very heavy. Mini reso might be the go. Hmm, forget I said that!

ย 

The main riff above is derived from Hamburger riffs! His stuff takes years to get - if you need more basic, maybe try Kenny Sultan, very similar ideas.

ย 

BluesKing777.

ย 

ย 

Edited by BluesKing777

Yeah.ย  Thanks.ย  I will look at KS.ย  I did recognize the kicked up levels DH teaches.ย  Once in a while a riff starts sinking in, and if I drop my old ways, I might be able to land the plane on the runway.

It'll be a long winter process, but that little guitar should make it more fun.

51 minutes ago, jedzep said:

Yeah.ย  Thanks.ย  I will look at KS.ย  I did recognize the kicked up levels DH teaches.ย  Once in a while a riff starts sinking in, and if I drop my old ways, I might be able to land the plane on the runway.

It'll be a long winter process, but that little guitar should make it more fun.

ย 

In all of it, the seemingly easiest bit is the hardest! (Thumb! the rest is just blues notes around the.....repeat thumb.).

ย 

KS uses mainly thumb and only index. DH uses everything including toes, I think. And DH plays his fabulous old Martin, while KS plays his fabulous old Martin too ....

ย 

BluesKing777.

ย 

ย 

ย 

Here is the official blurb for the anthem pickup:

"LR Baggs
The Award-winning Anthem series, featuring patented TRUโ€ขMIC technology, seamlessly combines a proprietary condenser microphone with LR Baggs' acclaimed Element pickup to deliver the warmth and fidelity of a studio-micโ€™d guitar anywhere you perform."
ย 
I suppose?
ย 
Anyhow, it sounds better while I am playing/recording it...simply because I don't record loud...and thus I think I can hear.....the guitar acoustically as well! Tricked again.
ย 
(The pickup came with the guitar from the pawn shop - they are quite expensive installed here and the guy at the shop obviously didn't know what it was. He just said it had a pickup!)
ย 
I guess that is what it really is - a pickup......Baggs may fib a little about the โ€˜studio micโ€™d guitarโ€™ biz.....
ย 
ย 
ย 
BluesKing777.
ย 
ย 
Edited by BluesKing777

ย 

To compare pickups with the Anthem above, I recorded a similar type of blues playing my Maton EBW808 all Blackwood guitar (still breaking the guitar hardwood top in!), using the famous Maton pickup system AP5-pro plugged direct to my mixer/record.

ย 

BluesKing777.

ย 

ย 

Click here to see a large version

ย 

ย 

Edited by BluesKing777