Gibson Brands Forums

What model is This

Royj

Yes, didn’t they go to the larger body on the L-50 in ‘34? Gibson did a lot of black guitars in the early’30’s. Did you get an inspection mirror inside the guitar to see if there is an FON stamp near the f-hole of the lower bout? or stamped behind the headstock?

Also- a pic of the headstock logo would help- ‘forget when they went from white/silver to gold?

1 hour ago, 62burst said:

Yes, didn’t they go to the larger body on the L-50 in ‘34? Gibson did a lot of black guitars in the early’30’s. Did you get an inspection mirror inside the guitar to see if there is an FON stamp near the f-hole of the lower bout? or stamped behind the headstock?

Also- a pic of the headstock logo would help- ‘forget when they went from white/silver to gold?

While it is just anecdotal evidence, I owned a mid-1930s Gibson-made Capital archtop.  The model designation and FON were on a white label which you could see through the F-hole.  Because of the label though I never thought to look to see if there was an FON stamped on the neck block.   At one point I also came close to buying a later-1930s L-12 which was basically an art deco version of an L7.    Again, there was a label visible through the f hole.

Edited by zombywoof