Gibson Brands Forums

NGD Gibson

merciful-evans

I haven't been on the forum for a week or so - not much happening lately, and now I find that I missed this post.  What a beautiful guitar, that grain on the back is just fantastic.  Around 1996 or 97 I bought a ES175 from Guitar Center, and as usual with them, there was no case candy included.  So I called Gibson and asked if I could get an owner's manual wanting to know the specs in terms of recommended string height, gauge etc.  The guy I talked to said "sure I'll send you something".  What he sent was not a manual, but a poster of the Artist ES models at that time.  The Howard Roberts Fusion is on there and the interesting specs are:  490R and 490T pickups, laminated maple body with Chromyte center block, maple neck with a 1959  rounded Les Paul shape, ebony fingerboard and gold hardware.  At that time it was only offered in ebony or sunburst.

What year is yours from?  The natural finish is to die for, and I imagine it plays like a dream.  Congratulations and enjoy it 😏  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

I haven't been on the forum for a week or so - not much happening lately, and now I find that I missed this post.  What a beautiful guitar, that grain on the back is just fantastic.  Around 1996 or 97 I bought a ES175 from Guitar Center, and as usual with them, there was no case candy included.  So I called Gibson and asked if I could get an owner's manual wanting to know the specs in terms of recommended string height, gauge etc.  The guy I talked to said "sure I'll send you something".  What he sent was not a manual, but a poster of the Artist ES models at that time.  The Howard Roberts Fusion is on there and the interesting specs are:  490R and 490T pickups, laminated maple body with Chromyte center block, maple neck with a 1959  rounded Les Paul shape, ebony fingerboard and gold hardware.  At that time it was only offered in ebony or sunburst.

What year is yours from?  The natural finish is to die for, and I imagine it plays like a dream.  Congratulations and enjoy it 😏  

Thank you for the extra info. 

Its a 2007 build. Apparently the III model differs quite a bit from the original 1979 spec (and the H Roberts design input).  It seems closer to a ES175 than other models I think. Its a similar size.

Yes I love the natural unfigured finish. I haven't needed to adjust anything (and I'm fussy) so I imagine whoever traded it in, set it up themselves and very nicely too. 

Last night I used it to construct a new preset on the THR30 amp. A more lush jazz sound. I'll use it for other styles too, but I'm favouring jazz cleans at the moment.