Gibson Brands Forums

NGD Gibson

merciful-evans

2007 Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion

I visited Andertons today to try out several guitars, the most important ones were Gibson Chet Atkins Nylon models. They had two. The were nice but gave me no advantage over my other nylons. I also tried out a Heritage H-530 (ES-330 style) and a Heritage Eagle. 

The search for the nylon continues. This is what I brought home. Having picked it up, it was a very fast decision.

I have no idea what the pickups are. There have been a few versions are the specs vary. It has a 3 piece neck, gold hardware and an ebony fingerboard. Arched top and back. It came beautifully set up with 10-46. I will eventually try some flatwounds on it. Sounds v good too. 

Pics #1 & #2 are shop pics. The others I took. 

Q8dH1LP.jpg

GDFlx3Q.jpg

5aIDGjX.jpg

zvjTPZB.jpg

BvhMJzA.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Thank you guys.

Just found some details. This HRF should be a version III it seems. According to one source the pickups are 490s. Seems a tad brighter than 57 Classics. Another source says that these guitars have a treble bleed capacitor. 

Its not as heavy as many are reported. This one weighs a fraction under 8lb. 

Just been using it with neck PU through the THR30 and had my first real proper play with it. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Tried some fingerpicking and pleased to find more definition than I'm used to (on electrics) with string volumes well balanced too. [smile]

• Like 1

[love]

Beautiful, I've always liked the Howard Roberts model in its different incarnations.  I'd like a good go on it.

Needs a black switch tip!!!  Why does Gibson  always put a white switch tip on when the other plastic components are black? 

• Like 1

Beautiful guitar!

FYI - The 2001 catalog listed the HRF version III, with 490 R&T pickups - so the model was around for a while in that configuration.  One major difference in ‘01:  the sweet-looking natural finish version was not available at that time - Just cherry, ebony, & sunburst.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, SteveFord said:

If I'm not mistaken weren't you thinking about a 335 and then went off on a tangent about some Asian guitars?

If so, you really were at the right place at the right time with the one you brought home.  That one had your name on it.

Nope, its got Howard Roberts name on it.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, SteveFord said:

If I'm not mistaken weren't you thinking about a 335 and then went off on a tangent about some Asian guitars?

If so, you really were at the right place at the right time with the one you brought home.  That one had your name on it.

I was more interested in the 330s. Hence the Heritage 530. But coincidentally I did ask the fellow about 335s, saying "Paul, indulge me. I've never played a 335". 

Paul: "we havent got any 335s". I couldnt believe it. I thought he'd misheard me. There are a page load of Custom shop & Murphy Lab models on Andertons web site. He was right though. They didnt have a one in the gallery. I've just checked and a lot of those are available for pre-order. The few listed as in stock must be at their warehouse. 

As for Asian. It was Sparquelito that suggested Ibanez. Then I remebered that the Prestige models are built by Fujigen, so that got my attention. They only had one left. It was the AM2000H-BS Artstar. A 339 sized hollowbody. I didnt try it. 

It looks similar to my 137 Custom so it's a big guitar and is a bit of handfull due to the size of the lower bout, especially playing seated.

Having said that, I would take the one you brought home over a 330 or 335 any day.

I don't think you could have lucked into a better one.  If you ever get hard up, sell a kidney keep the guitar.

• Thanks 1