Gibson Brands Forums

Dang Me

Fred_Engr

I was tabbing a song to play this weekend and like most songs I first go to the internet to see if someone has done it to save time. I found the song "Dang Me" by Roger Miller but like most. if not all, it had wrong chords, notes and lyrics mistakes.

Being the backside retentive person I am, got to thinking, is this done on purpose to circumvent copy right laws? I have noticed even in so called lyrics sites have frequent errors. You may say well if you were not so cheap you would purchase a legal song book - well yes I have and yes they have many errors too.

So what gives?

Questioning.

They oughta take a rope and hang you. (kidding of course)

Roger's vocal progression seemed to me, to change chords with every word he sung. I don't think I've ever even tried to play one of his tunes. I did love his work though. The man never failed to put a smile on my face. Good luck with your quest.

The only egregious mistake I've found was on cowboylyrics.com. The poster was in Germany, trying to get down the words to "What was I thinking?" He typed Long chair instead of lawnchair.

In order to circumvent copyright laws, I think you'd have to change quiet a few of the lyrics to slide in under the radar. Not sure about lyrics, but I think if you have more than a couple measures of music the same it will raise ASCAP's attention.

Chords? Who knows, I think chord transcription and transposing is legal.

I did run into a situation where the chords just didn't make sense either one chord indicated was 'H'

Turns out that's a German thing. What we Englishters notate Bb (Bflat), Germans denote as B. What we Englishters notate as B, Germans notate as "H". Someone told me once why the letter H was used, but I don't remember.

THIS therefore is how you can spell out Bach's name with music notes.

I use Chordie a lot. Tons of errors on there' date=' chords and lyrics both. [/quote']

So do I. It's very useful but not always reliable, particularly with chords. If it doesn't sound right, it probably isn't - so trust your own ears.

I use Chordie a lot. Tons of errors on there' date=' chords and lyrics both. [/quote']

People often post a few wrong chords in a song to protect themselves. If you get sued for copyright infringement and you have 3 extra chords in the song and a tab for a lead that is a half step out of key, you can argue that you have changed the piece by enough of a percentage that no infringement happened.

It is the same with lyrics.

Aw‘ll here I sit a high a gettin ideas

Ain't nothin but a fool'd live like this

should be

Well a here I sit a high gettin ideas

Ain't nothin but a fool would live like this

Or maybe I have some errors above too?

Fred

This is frustrating because I have it in a .mid-zip file but cannot get it to unzip. In which case band in the box would open it and wah-lah -- the chords. the messages I get is that it is compressed by an unknown method so cannot unzip. (Great). If I had the .mid file BIAB or FINALE could open it. Bummed. Computers! OK try this a 1-4-5 (simple enough) choose any root (C-F-G-D-A) and take the 4 and use the 5 chord i-iv-v7th (like that) ... OK like this:

1 4 5 (Nashville numbering)

I IV V (Before Nashville way)

C F G7

G C D7

D G A7

A D E7

F Bb C7

Bb Eb F7

Eb Ab Bb7

Here are the only (compatible) minors

Am in C

Em in G

Bm in D

F#m in A

Dm in F

Gm in Bb

Cm in Eb

I don't think he used anything else (I could be wrong) ... I don't think he used 1-6-2-5, 2-5-1 or any of the Doo-Wop of Charleston progressions (5'2", Darktown, etc)

OK this will work

[c] Dang me, [F]Dang me,

[G7]they they oughta take a rope and [c] hang me

hang me from the highest [F] tree

[c]Woman don't ya [G7] weep for [c] me

Boop boop boop (whatever you put in here)

I don't remember the bridge... there's a story of some kind with each verse.

OK .. similar question ... the requirement is " several songs that are spring time offerings giving laughter, a sense of renewal, joy and hope -- from the heart..." Do any of these accomplish that specification? I narrowed it down from a list of 2000 songs in my database. (but the specs are not from a guy) OR ... does anyone have a suggestion? I only need about ten songs (or five long ones - 3 minutes)

Bye Bye Blackbird |------------------| Memories are made of this |------------| That's Amore

Darktown Strutter s Ball |----------| Nearness of You |-----------------|That's Life

Georgia on My mind |-----------------| New York New York |--------------------| The Best Is Yet to Come

Hey Good Looking |------------------| Okie From Muskogee |-------------------| The Nearness of You

I Can't Give You Anything But Love |-|Our Love is Here to Stay |------------| The Rose

I'm Beginning to See the Light |----| Sentimental Reasons |-------------------| This Can't be Love

It had to Be you |--------------------| She's Funny That Way |-------------------|Tie a Yellow Ribbon

I've Got the World on a string |----| Sin to tell a Lie |----------------------------| When Sunny Gets Blue

Jambalaya |-----------------------------| Sweet Georgia Brown

Kick in the Head |---------------------| Taking a Chance on Love

Love Will Keep us Together |-------| Teach Me Tonight

I have a chart that incorporates the Nashville numbering system at http://members.cox.net/ppitt1/blues.htm --- hit page-down a couple times. There is another chart at http://pjp-songwriting.blogspot.com/ that shows the "order" of keys ... how keys work.

Basically you have a "root" which is the KEY you are playing in and that = 1 and so for example if that is C then C = 1 (the C scales is CDEFGABC = an octave) .. the 4th of the C scales is F and the 5th of the C scale is G ... so the basic "triad" of the C scale is C-F-G. Most of the time we play a G7 -- and it is said to "resolve" to C (a cycle then -- C-F-G7-C. So generally you song begins and ends on "root." Chords "change" as the melody changes .. to F or G7 or C depending on the song.

Every scale as an OCTAVE so ever scale has a 1-4-5 chord set. Fancier chord sets are used for jazz, folk minor keys, doo-wop. But 1-4-5 covers about 98% of the songs. as you go along playing songs you learn to occasionally include a minor or other 7ths. People often go to a site called "Chordie.com" for lyrics with the chords written over them. As you get lyrics from Chordie -- look and notice ho many of them are 1-4-5 sequences. (and if you do that you will naturally have to think of the SCALE and the 1-4-5 notes in that SCALE ... pretty soon you will now a lot able chords and scales.

(Then you can "get it" even while you are playing -- and you will be "playing by ear" because you'll know what the chords are in any key for MOST songs). Then they'll say "how does he do that?" and you can say "Nashville numbering... and you will be right. Here are some scales

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1

C C D E F G A B C

G G A B C D E F# G

D D E F# G A B C# A

A A B C# D E F# G# A

E E F# G# A B C# D# E

B B C# D# E F# G# A# B

F# F# G# A# B C# D# E# F#

Db Db Eb F Gb Ab Bb C Db

Ab Ab Bb C Db Eb F Gb Ab

Eb Eb F G Ab Eb C Db Eb

Bb Bb C D Eb F G A Bb