Gibson Brands Forums

Unsure of Gibson 1958 Reissue serial or colour.

joshtammi

I'm currently sussing a 1958 Reissue built approx 2014 (has a 1954-2014 Custom back plate) which is a little hard to find some info on. It includes all the case candy and appears to be legitimate, but the serial is 6 digits where my current 1959 2014 Reissue is only 5 digit. 

The next interesting thing is the colour - its quite a nicely figured top and it is a very unique colour, I cannot seem to find any other R8's with this so called colour and it was hard enough even trying to find the colour at all, however it is identical to many R9's I've managed to find online that are a "Faded Maple Leaf Burst". I can’t find any 1958’s made in this colour so wondering if someone is able to point me in the right direction for some.

These are the actual photos of the guitar. https://imgur.com/a/rXq3Wuf

Kind Regards,

The big stores often have exclusives.  Sam Ash has regularly had 58 and 59 reissues in their own colors and historical rarities, two of which I shoulda bought when I could have.  Do you know where the seller got the guitar?

rct

6 hours ago, rct said:

The big stores often have exclusives.  Sam Ash has regularly had 58 and 59 reissues in their own colors and historical rarities, two of which I shoulda bought when I could have.  Do you know where the seller got the guitar?

rct

Thanks! 

Originally I believe it was sold by Thomann in Germany as there is a photo included from them of the guitar. 

Cheers

Some of the reissue serial numbers start with the last digit of the year of reissue.  I remember two Sam Ash 58's from a long time ago that started with 8.  One was a black top/nice mahogany back, supposed to be some super few they did in 1958.  The other was a deep red top/nice mahogany back, again, some super rare one or few-offs they allegedly did in 1958.  I don't know how true any of that was but man, they were great guitars. 2000 bucks at the turn of the century, actually not badly priced.  I shoulda bought both.

rct

I have a 58 reissue from that period, when I bought it (new), it was sold as a 2013 guitar but it has an 1894-2014 backplate.  I asked Gibson Support and they informed me that it's probably a 2014 spec guitar but built at the end of 2013.

Regarding the Serial No, mine has a 5 digit number, with the 8 followed by a space then the other 4 digits.

R8 tops are normally "plain" tops although it's not unusual for some to slip through with a figured top (normally to be found on R9's), mine has such a top.  I've never seen one in your colour, and looking at your photo's it looks like it's got the full gloss finish whereas most of them seem to have the VOS finish.