Gibson Brands Forums

All Maple guitar?

Twang Gang

On 2/9/2022 at 4:23 AM, Twang Gang said:

Got an email from Taylor last week introducing a new guitar.  It has a maple back and sides, and a maple top.  I don't recall seeing other acoustics with maple tops and I certainly don't think I ever played one.  It is their AD size model which is a slope shoulder dread.  I heard some demos of it and while it does sound different than most Taylors which have spruce tops it wasn't hugely different.  Sort of reminded me of an all mahogany guitar, but a little brighter.

Just wondering if others have heard or played a guitar that was all maple, body and top.  Perhaps they are a lot more common than I realize?

Here is a link to the one I'm talking about.  Unlike most other manufacturers, this guitar is actually in stock at some dealers:

Taylor American Dream AD27e Flametop Acoustic-electric Guitar - Woodsmoke | Sweetwater

Hardwood top acoustics (hardtops???) are one of my latest benders!

Back in the very early days, it was the mahogany top Martin 0-17s etc that got all the blues players dragged in......not as loud as sitka tops, but a sort of compression like a blues singer voice......once broken in!!!! Note: broken in - before that, they are really stiff unless the tops are thinned. (Out comes the Tonerite)...or buy a 1944 Martin 0-17 like I did 7 or 8 years ago....well broken in!

Like this one:

https://reverb.com/au/item/3134699-1944-martin-0-17

Recently, Martin brought out a CEO9 with mango wood top, back and sides...says it has that compressed thing going on...never played on, but looks interesting:

https://reverb.com/au/item/50350715-martin-ceo-9-2021-mango-sunset-burst-w-ohsc

I recently wanted a Waterloo all mahogany but none around, so in a fever I bought a Martin OMC-15ME all mahogany 15 series OM...it is now 8 or 9 months old and just opening up beautifully:

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/15-series/OMC-15ME.html

6 months ago, I bought the all Australian Blackwood 00 Maton (EBW808) - this is just starting to open up nicely - it also has the sensational Maton AP5-pro pickup system:

https://reverb.com/au/item/46614521-maton-ebw-808-blackwood-series-with-ap5-pro-pickup

But......

Love them newbies as I am starting to do, nothing beats the old 0-17 well and truly broken in on the verge of broken! It is surprisingly loud for an 0, and the tone.....

So a maple top could be worth trying, but for me it would be better for someone else to belt it around for 5 years or so to open it out!

My 1944 Martin 0-17:

Click here to see a large version

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

On 2/15/2022 at 10:52 PM, Dave F said:

I have a Taylor NS72-CE Cedar top RW B&S that I'm happy with.

You wouldn't happen to have the neck relief of that guitar at hand, would you (an estimate would be good enough)? Can you get the neck perfectly straight if you wanted to? My dealer said that he couldn't do it with the guitar I was going to purchase from him, a Taylor NS-62CE (photos above). He was even wondering in earnest why anybody would even want a classical (crossover) guitar with a straight neck...

Edited by Leonard McCoy

1 hour ago, Leonard McCoy said:

You wouldn't happen to have the neck relief of that guitar at hand, would you (an estimate would be good enough)? Can you get the neck perfectly straight if you wanted to? My dealer said that he couldn't do it with the guitar I was going to purchase from him, a Taylor NS-62CE (photos above). He was even wondering in earnest why anybody would even want a classical (crossover) guitar with a straight neck...

The guitar has a truss rod access from the sound hole like the Martins. I have it set at minimal relief and can set it where ever I want. I bought it used. I contacted Taylor to get some alternate neck shims to adjust the neck angle. They told me to register the guitar even though I wasn’t he original owner then they sent me a set of shims to set the neck. Everything worked great. 

1 hour ago, Dave F said:

The guitar has a truss rod access from the sound hole like the Martins. I have it set at minimal relief and can set it where ever I want. I bought it used. I contacted Taylor to get some alternate neck shims to adjust the neck angle. They told me to register the guitar even though I wasn’t he original owner then they sent me a set of shims to set the neck. Everything worked great. 

Thanks a lot. Impressive Taylor service as well.