Gibson Brands Forums

Protective plastic sheet on pick guard, Custom shop guitars.

Mercuryjones

Just purchased a Custom shop, Cherry ‘58 reissue Les Paul Jr DC from a Gibson dealer. It’s turned up with scuff marks, dings, nicks & scrapes all over the front & back of the guitar. And where the neck tenon is, really bad polish marks running at 90 degrees across the exposed part of the tenon. The guitars was sold as new & was supposedly kept in a glass case in the shop!!! Was also wondering, if the guitar should have also had a protective plastic sheet over the pick guard & the wiring cavity on the back?  The guitar plays perfectly, but the condition it has turned up is terrible for the amount of $ I paid for a supposedly new Custom shop guitar.  

The guitars was sold as new & was supposedly kept in a glass case in the shop!!!  

it's disappointing to discover that after the purchase.  but it kind of sounds like it's "Shop worn"  to me.  if people were playing it, and it's been in the store for while, it's hard to know for sure. 

I don't actually recall any new Gibson I've purchase with having the plastic film on the plastic parts like Fender does.

Edited by kidblast

I agree with Kidblast - sounds like people were taking it out of the glass case and playing it.  Not sure about a protective plastic sheet, I don't recall them being on new gibsons I have bought, but if there was one, it probably got scuffed up like the rest of the guitar so they took it off.  I'd be contacting the seller to get some money back.  Since it plays well maybe you can polish and buff out a lot of the scuffs (although you shouldn't have to on a supposedly new guitar).

• 2 weeks later...