Gibson Brands Forums

New Gibson J45 Standard vs New Gibson J45 Original

BluesKing777

8 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

We snooze, we lose………Guitars are kind of life fish:  there’s always the one that got away.

Ain't it the truth.  Perhaps buying sight unseen is the way to go as it initially takes ears and hands out of the equation.  So, the only procrastination involved might be when your hand is lingering with a slight tremble over the "Buy It Now" button.

• Haha 1

No way around it but the guitar shop demonstration videos are usually brand spanking new guitars just de-boxed and unwrapped........I listened to a couple of videos with brand new J50s and I would rather my pawn shop 2002 that was mistreated and maybe even had a relic job! I had the tea dipped relic look wrongly cut nut and saddle exchanged for new high density bone pieces.....superb but need a few months to settle. Only disappointment in what I had done by my luthier is the Anthem pickup, just not much for fingerpicking and probably famous for strum sounds.....cost me a bomb. My lately preferred K&K Trinity system is expensive too, but I love them.....so, double loss coming up.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

10 hours ago, zombywoof said:

Ain't it the truth.  Perhaps buying sight unseen is the way to go as it initially takes ears and hands out of the equation.  So, the only procrastination involved might be when your hand is lingering with a slight tremble over the "Buy It Now" button.

Yep!   If for example you want a D35 or a Hummingbird and you find one you like, buy it and don’t compare it to every D35 or Bird that you read about.  Just enjoy “your” guitar.

Some of us don't even have the option of getting out hands on multiple Gibsons to compare. There are two authorized dealers in the entire state of Maine. And one of them typically only has one or two gibsons at any given time. Neither of them ever have more than one of the same model.  

I was lucky enough to have a shop with both models and got to play them.  As first pointed out, cosmetics are one of the main differences, and, to me the 50's model wins hands down. I've always disliked the Grover tuners on just about any Gibson guitar. And, even though it may be "better", couldn't stand the nut on the regular J45. The aged binding on the 50's model is another winner for me. As was pointed out in the video, the neck shape on each is close, but different enough to be felt. Sound-wise, the 50's sounded, to me, clearer and cleaner than the standard. 

I played them back and forth for a good 45 minutes and came home with, as you might expect from my comments, the 50's model. The standard was a fine guitar, but I just preferred the look, feel and, especially, the sound of the 50's model. Plus, it was $50 cheaper.....:rolleyes:

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Joe M said:

I played them back and forth for a good 45 minutes and came home with, as you might expect from my comments, the 50's model. The standard was a fine guitar, but I just preferred the look, feel and, especially, the sound of the 50's model. Plus, it was $50 cheaper.....:rolleyes:

The $50 cheaper is another mystery...why $50?

Both models are identical except for the tuners, also the same approx price on StewMac. Got me.

Perhaps the J45 Standard is getting phased out...slowly, and they don't want to tell anybody? 😁

Do they both get the same case?

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

8 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

The $50 cheaper is another mystery...why $50?

Both models are identical except for the tuners, also the same approx price on StewMac. Got me.

Perhaps the J45 Standard is getting phased out...slowly, and they don't want to tell anybody? 😁

Do they both get the same case?

BluesKing777.

Same case as far as I can see. Very nice, FWIW, new latches that look and work way better than the old ones. Honestly, I think, if anything, the 50’s model should be priced higher, seems to have more of what a J45 should have, IMO. 

Another of the great Gibson mysteries…..🤪