Gibson Brands Forums

New Gibson J45 Standard vs New Gibson J45 Original

BluesKing777

Here is a video from last year of the Standard vs the 50s Original at Acoustic Letter.....if you have played both, which do you prefer?

Anybody own both?

(I use to have a J45 Standard that I bought in 2010, long gone...but a couple of years ago I bought a pawn shop 2002 Gibson J50, which to me is more like the 50s Original J45 above - Kluson style tuners, bone nut and saddle, chunkier neck..... when I bought it, I thought it looked like a 1956 I saw on the net. Big bonus for me is the guitar is 20 years old and well and truly broken in! Maybe it has been relic'd, but recently my guitar tech gave it a setup and an Anthem pickup and it is...superb!)

2002 J50:

Click here to see a large version

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777
  • Thanks 1

Cool old J-50, man.

I've not played any "new" Gibson's in a bit.

My old 2003 "Rosewood" J-45 has a pretty chunky neck, while the J-15 I grabbed a few years back has a thinner/quicker handle. I use the J-15 for a "beater" so it gets a lot of play saving the old J-45 for important stuff.....

It's so hard for me to prefer one thing over another because I evolved to adjust to what I have at the time. I think if I was "test driving" new J-45s, I'd have that same issue today. The one I would prefer would be the one in my hands.

• Like 1

I have to confess that I also have not spent a whole lot of time with Bozeman-made J45s over the past years.  This certainly should not be seen as any kind of comment on these guitars but rather taken in the context that the J50 I own still just feels like coming home.  

Edited by zombywoof

I have a 2020 J-50 1960's original (not 1950's) and love it. I also have a 2008 J-50 which I think is probably about the same as a J-45 standard. Definitely prefer the 60's original, although they are really very similar. I think the ADJ bridge is probably why the 60's original sounds different - I would call it a brighter sound. Aside from that, there really doesn't seem to be much different about the two guitars, same construction. So, for the 1950's J-45 (without the ADJ bridge) I'd be surprised if the sound was much different. The 50's version includes a pickup, so it's more expensive than the J-50. 

The neck on the 60's original is a little smaller, but not all that much. The nut is 1/16" more narrow, but the carve is about the same, so after you get up to about the third fret the necks are basically the same. The 50's original is supposed to have a slightly wider neck than the standard but I've never actually played one of these. I also have a real 1965 J-50 and although it is visually similar to the 60's original, it's a very different guitar. Completely different inside, with a heavy wood plate to reinforce the ADJ bridge. The inside of the the 60's original doesn't have that, it is identical to my 2008 J-50 on the inside. The neck on the real 1965 J-50 is also much skinnier than the 60's original. The nut width is the same, but the real 1965 J-50 has a much thinner carve.

I prefer narrow necks, so the 50's original doesn't interest me. Also, I don't like the finish options available on the 50's original J-45, they only have black and red wine - no burst finish, which seems odd to me (at least, that was the case the last time I looked on Gibson's site). Anyway, really happy with the 60's original J-50, it's all I play anymore and I got a good deal on a like-new used one at Guitar Center last year.

Edited by Boyd
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

Sorry, couldn't get past the discussion of the T-shirts in the video.  But no, I don't own a J-45 and couldn't compare the 2 models discussed.

The weiner shirt is perfect for he. Never seen more awkward chemistry, those two.

The differences in the two models could possibly be less than any two gibson acoustic guitars of the same model.

I've played both.  I own a 2021 50s J-45 and a buddy of mine owns a 2019 standard (not exact years, but pretty close), and I very much prefer the 50s--and so does he!  There's a bit darker of a sound to the 50s that I just love (and I think you can hear it in that clip).  I don't know if the chunkier neck has anything to do with it or if it's the bone saddle and nut instead of the tusq his has.  Can't recommend the 50s more!

I own a new J-45 50’s original. I tried 3 new J-45 Standards.  I much prefer the 50’s original! As egoidealmusic said the tone is darker. The Standards that I played sounded a little shrill in comparison. Really love the tone and the chunkier neck also. Couldn’t be happier!

I suppose it is foolish of me to ask why they still make the Standard J45 when most seem to prefer the older look of the Original?

Does the Machine keep spitting them out?

I prefer my 2002 J50 pic earlier - Kluson style tuners, bone nut and saddle, cream binding (matches my old LG3!).

I also just noticed there is no “Historic Series” J50, but 6 versions of the J45.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

No, I got the same impression from other forums PLUS I thought my J50 above to be a superior guitar to my previous Standard J45, probably because of the chunkier neck, bone nut and saddle, Kluson style tuners, lighter finish like the new J46 Original instead of the “piano finish” dark stain of the Standards.

So I also maybe assumed the new model would replace the previous model, like cars....new car comes out, old model gone.

BluesKing777.

Gibson may be stuck for eternity producing "The Iconic J45" - in a standard version.  A model at a slightly lower price than the other 99 versions - many of which will look better to some and sound better to some - but a 'standard' for those buyers who want 'the real thing'.    I have one of the other 99 versions (J45CustomKoa)  - it sounds better than the few standards I've tried over the years at GC.   But that could be me. My memory, my age, my ears - different strings ... or just 'my dog is better than your dog' -itis.   

The 50's original has the 3-on-a-plate Kluson replica tuners. I have these on my 60's Original and they're very nice, much nicer than the ugly Rotomatics on the J-45 Standard IMO. I removed the Rotomatics from my 2008 J-50 and replaced them with the Kluson replicas.

The 50's Original also has a bone saddle and nut, the Standard has plastic. If anything, I'd expect the Standard to be a little cheaper. Go figure....

Edited by Boyd
mixed up guitars

I would love to play the 50s Original J50 (new) - I just bet ya my 2002, pic above, is identical...chunkier neck, bone nut and saddle, 3 on a plate Kluson style tuners. They never get J50s Originals here, plenty of the 60s Originals.

Back when my 2010 J45 Standard came out, a lot of people ditched the Rotos and plastic nut and bridge for bone ASAP. And the awful pickup soon after - my J50 has the full Anthem installed, very good so far.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

On 4/23/2022 at 6:25 AM, Murph said:

Cool old J-50, man.

I've not played any "new" Gibson's in a bit.

My old 2003 "Rosewood" J-45 has a pretty chunky neck, while the J-15 I grabbed a few years back has a thinner/quicker handle. I use the J-15 for a "beater" so it gets a lot of play saving the old J-45 for important stuff.....

It's so hard for me to prefer one thing over another because I evolved to adjust to what I have at the time. I think if I was "test driving" new J-45s, I'd have that same issue today. The one I would prefer would be the one in my hands.

Yeah, a pawn shop guitar that has real “mojo.”  Looks superb!…..  I’ve shopped at pawn shops before, but never found any Gibsons or Martins.  Lots of Corts, Fenders, etc. at inflated prices.

I understand all the interest and curiosity regarding guitars and how they measure-up to each other.  My problem is that I don’t know the differences between a 1950’s J45 and a 2022 J45, aside from their age.   I don’t know the difference from Hide Glue and Elmer’s, aside from what I hear from the knowledgeable folks in here.  I don’t know why one style of bracing provides more volume than another.  I just know “the sound” when I hear it..  I want a guitar that is comfortable to hold and easy to play and feels like an extension of who I am as a person.

For what it’s worth (lol), after I sold my J45 Standard, I bought my J45TV.  Don’t know the actual differences in the structure of the two guitars, but I like the J45TV because it sounds a little more mellow.  Maybe it’s not, but I think it might be.   Anyway, it’s kind of like me and doesn’t clash with my personality.  I play all my Gibsons, simply because I like them.

• Like 2

On 4/24/2022 at 9:51 PM, Raul Rehlmann said:

The weiner shirt is perfect for he. Never seen more awkward chemistry, those two.

The differences in the two models could possibly be less than any two gibson acoustic guitars of the same model.

Quinton King & Paul make a great suspenseful team. More than once have I stated that they hide a comical duo just under the surface.                                                                                                                                               I really enjoy that and find their tests/talks very good. This one wasn't an exception. 

21 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

I suppose it is foolish of me to ask why they still make the Standard J45 when most seem to prefer the older look of the Original?

Does the Machine keep spitting them out?

Just remember the Standard was and probably still is a big hit.

Apart from that it was/is 2 splendid guitars.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               My ears found the Std. a bit more mushy, but wonderfully loose'n'generous. That makes the 50s clearer and slightly tighter. Would be easier to sense in reality - and a gas to try. 

Edited by E-minor7

Ok, I went back and actually listened to the two guitars this time.  I would agree with Em7 on this comparison video, to me the 50s model was a little clearer I could hear the individual strings a little better whereas the Standard was a little mushy in comparison.  Both sounded good but I preferred the definition of the 50s model.   

• Thanks 1

The way it seems to go with me is the first say J45 I play sounds pretty darn good.  The second one I try out though sounds a bit better.  And by the time I get to the third if I had bought either of the first two, I would have been royally hacked off.  My problem is I then decide to wait until I get my hands on a fourth one.  More often as not though, that guitar sounds like the first one I tried while the guitar I should have bought is now long gone.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, zombywoof said:

The way it seems to go with me is the first say J45 I play sounds pretty darn good.  The second one I try out though sounds a bit better.  And by the time I get to the third if I had bought either of the first two, I would have been royally hacked off.  My problem is I then decide to wait until I get my hands on a fourth one.  More often as not though, that guitar sounds like the first one I tried while the guitar I should have bought is now long gone.

We snooze, we lose………Guitars are kind of life fish:  there’s always the one that got away.