Gibson Brands Forums

“A cup of coffee and a favorite Bob Dylan song”

Lars68

Here is a new song I wrote about two weeks ago. I made a recording at the time, but I wasn't happy with it. Since then I have been fighting a terrible cold that kept me in bed for days. I now feel better again and want to get the song right. I tried a couple of takes and this is this best one I could do. My voice is kind of nasal and still suffering from the cold, and I had to change the key compared to my original attempts. 

It's a simple song about enjoying the simple things in life.  As usual with my songs, I will try to improve on it by eventually doing a multitrack recording with hopefully better vocals and some other instruments added. How do you think this works, as a sort of “demo”?

Lars

NOTES ON THE FRIDGE

The migrant birds are heading South 
as the first leaves are falling
On my back porch I'll be waiting winter long

Once I reached for endless skies
Now all I want is a cup of coffee 
and a favorite Bob Dylan song

No mountains to climb searching for richess
Only “Masters of War” as I do yesterday's dishes

There's a long and winding road
over the hills and past the horizon
It brought you home to me

Bring the blanket, put your arm around me
A quiet life with the biggest bang
and there is no place I'd rather be

There's no buried treasure beyond the ridge
Only “Blowing in the Wind” as I read the notes on the fridge

Edited by Lars68

Decent imagery there, Lars. If you did add some other instrumentation, in the way that strings like violin, cello, synth, etc can do, it would "hold up" the sound for you, and maybe allow you to back off of the reverb on the vocals a bit. But you are getting your voice dialed in a bit more, even if you're just coming off of a bad cold.

11 hours ago, 62burst said:

Decent imagery there, Lars. If you did add some other instrumentation, in the way that strings like violin, cello, synth, etc can do, it would "hold up" the sound for you, and maybe allow you to back off of the reverb on the vocals a bit. But you are getting your voice dialed in a bit more, even if you're just coming off of a bad cold.

Thanks! Yes, vocals are becoming more natural, but I’m not fully satisfied with this take. There are still weak vocal spots, but it will have to do for now. Overall I’m very happy that inspiration and songs keep on coming. Working on songs is by far my favorite part of the hobby, and I never tire of trying to improve.

Lars

19 hours ago, kwalker201 said:

I liked the wording that you have there. Really nice tune!

Thanks a lot! I kind of like the tune myself. The lyrics mean a lot to me, but the performance is not great. I'm working on that along with the addition of  a few new chords. We'll see what happens…

Lars

Pretty sweet song, Lars!  I looked for things I’d do differently, but this song is “your” personal look at life and I don’t see much I’d want to do different if I were writing it.  You draw a really nice picture of things you and I (and many others) value.   Your writing and performing are truly better than ever before and you are using your voice.  Just keep doing what you’re doing..   I think we write from the same place inside of ourselves.   You’re a folksinger.  Enjoy it, my friend.

Edited by MissouriPicker

4 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

Pretty sweet song, Lars!  I looked for things I’d do differently, but this song is “your” personal look at life and I don’t see much I’d want to do different if I were writing it.  You draw a really nice picture of things you and I (and many others) value.   Your writing and performing are truly better than ever before and you are using your voice.  Just keep doing what you’re doing..   I think we write from the same place inside of ourselves.   You’re a folksinger.  Enjoy it, my friend.

Thanks a lot, MP!!

Lars

I did a new multitrack version of the song, changing a bunch of things. I switched from using a Martin to a Gibson! I changed the key, added new chords to create some space. I added a little riff, an organ, and some percussion. Sounds much closer to my intention now.

Lars

Edit: just used a new toy that came in the mail. I added electric guitar with an E-bow to the choruses.

Edited by Lars68