Gibson Brands Forums

NSCD

jdgm

...Stands for New Stereo Crossover day.  

Background - I still have big hi-fi speakers, Gales 302 from the 1980s. The drivers in each cab were replaced about a decade ago with much better, more modern ones from Wilmslow Audio (I am in UK) - but I never got 3-way crossovers to assign treble, mid, bass to each.  It's a long story but 2 months ago I got Wilmslow to design and build a pair of these.  Then all I had to do was fit them.

I'm not good at soldering and have never had to solder wires directly onto circuit board tracks before.   I had to get this right so I had a look at some youtube video and read a couple of things.  I never knew what solder FLUX does and so now finally understand why my soldering (guitar leads mostly) has always been so crap.    It's still not neat but I bought some flux and....I did it.  It works!   20 solder connections for each cabinet and the real PITA ones were to the cab posts not the boards.

You will see how messy I am - all the wire joints are mine; I did try and go over this board, the 2nd one, and tidy it up a bit but the main thing is, it works.

Each 3-way crossover is about 8" x 4" similar to a DVD case or large paperback - check out those caps and coils!  [thumbup]

Xover.jpg

The back (as it came) with tracks where I make the solder connections:

Xoverback.jpg

Like this - yes it's messy but the wetting is good and it all works 100% though not exactly Sgt NASA quality, as I said I did try and tidy it up a bit after this shot.

Xover1.jpg

And in situ. The board is being flexed by a corner screw which you can't see because of the wire.  That kept me awake last night so I went in and removed it; no flex now.  The other 3 screws hold it steady enough. 

Xover2.jpg

I cut some eggbox-type cardboard packing and put it like a box over each crossover and each plate (with the speaker input posts on); soldered and fitted the tweeter, stuffed the cab with the original insulation wool you can see bits of above, then did the main drivers. 

One of Two.  Very happy and relieved it all works;  amazed and overjoyed at the sound, even through a borrowed Technics amp.  Morel tweeter, 8" Monacor drivers.

Speaker.jpg

It sounds much better with the treble, mid and bass assigned to a driver each - no doubt at all about it.    

This is getting good.  Next; a new integrated amp. 

Yamaha A-S1200 has the features I want.   

May sell a guitar amp to get the money.

I love being a player, but I started as a listener and I still am completely into it.  I don't have a TV.   I want the best stereo sound I can afford for as long as I've got left to listen.

Best wishes to all [thumbup]

Edited by jdgm
  • Thanks 1

Well done. It looks better than expected. I also dont mess with electrics if I can get someone else to, so a real feeling of accomplishment is due.

I haven't soldered anything since my 20s I think. My mother had soldered circuit boards professionally back in her day. That made her a little too handy!

Enjoy your revitalised music all over again. 

PS If you want any vinyl (for free), I have 1k of LPs I'm looking to lose.

12 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Well done. It looks better than expected. I also dont mess with electrics if I can get someone else to, so a real feeling of accomplishment is due.

I haven't soldered anything since my 20s I think. My mother had soldered circuit boards professionally back in her day. That made her a little too handy!

Enjoy your revitalised music all over again. 

PS If you want any vinyl (for free), I have 1k of LPs I'm looking to lose.

Thankyou.

PM'd.

Edited by jdgm