Gibson Brands Forums

Diagram of Gibson Roxy SG

lastpaddy

Or you just get an Epiphone SG Standard 60's with Maestro Vibrola and call it a day for most of the parts.

s-l1600.jpg

Not sure how easy it would be to replace the trapezoids with dots..

Edited by mihcmac

5 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

Or you just get a an Epiphone SG Standard 60's with Maestro Vibrola and call it a day for most of the parts.

s-l1600.jpg

Frank being Frank modded Roxy with 2 switches on the pickguard that coil split and make the pups go out of phase. Nothing that can't be done with push/pull pots. Not sure if had one of those Green Ringer pups in there or if that was in the Baby Snakes fake SG. I think Dweez owns the original as well has the burnt Hendrix Strat. 

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Frank being Frank modded Roxy with 2 switches on the pickguard that coil split and make the pups go out of phase. Nothing that can't be done with push/pull pots. Not sure if had one of those Green Ringer pups in there or if that was in the Baby Snakes fake SG. I think Dweez owns the original as well has the burnt Hendrix Strat. 

To make look-a-like I would start with an Epi G-400 that has the dot inlay with 61 style set neck and TOM bridge with humbuckers, these also have the smaller SG Special style pickguard and 4 controls. These have the clipped ear headstock which could be filled in to look more Gibson like, repaint the headstock face and add Roto Matics. The body would need to be routed under the pickguard for the coil tapping or phasing (6-pole double throw) mini toggles. Select your open coil pickups and build the wiring harness. Black Tophats, Add a Maestro Vibrola using a Bigsby style dive bar. and it would all over except for the crying...

2005 G-400 possibly 

ty7b07p14hsef0co11wr.jpg

😱

Note that most of the kits for building SG's have bolt-on necks and the geometry of the neck and body are very different from a Gibson SG.

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

They've sent me schematics when I've asked

Ever since I sent them a really insulting letter about not getting my 25th Anniversary Les Paul belt buckle they've been great to me.

You probably could have found them online. I remember when you were having your BB issue. It took me all of about 3 mins to find the schematic online. The Roxy wiring schematic is illusive. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Hmm, I don't see building a Zappa Roxy copy any different than building a George Harrison Tele or Strat..

Personally I want a left handed white Hendrix Strat to setup for me to play right handed, I don't care what label is on it as long as its not a Squire.

Edited by mihcmac

2 hours ago, mihcmac said:

Hmm, I don't see bulging a Zappa Roxy copy any different than building a George Harrison Tele or Strat..

Personally I want a left handed white Hendrix Strat to setup for me to play right handed, I don't care what label is on it as long as its not a Squire.

Charvel Jackson might work, their not Squires as far as I know. To me a Strat is made by Fender, all others are fakes.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Charvel Jackson might work, their not Squires as far as I know. To me a Strat is made by Fender, all others are fakes.

I would prefer a G&L Legacy in white

TI_LGY_121L20R23-front-1200-390x1170.png

but this one would do

Edited by mihcmac

16 hours ago, mihcmac said:

Hmm, I don't see bulging a Zappa Roxy copy any different than building a George Harrison Tele or Strat..

Other than the manufacturers, probably not much, and the parts you need, and the wiring is different, so not much.

8 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Other than the manufacturers, probably not much, and the parts you need, and the wiring is different, so not much.

The OP didn't say what how he was going to build it, he only asked for a wiring diagram, he could be starting his project with a Gibson SG, getting the parts, rewiring and modding  to build a Roxy.

Edited by mihcmac

4 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Here is the OP's first statement: Wanna build my own Roxy SG. 

To me it seems like he wants to do it on an SG body style guitar. It doesn't state he wants to wire any electric guitar the way Franks Roxy was. It states - Build my own Roxy SG .Maybe I'm reading to much into it?

The OP's exact words, he doesn't say what brand guitar he is starting with, just asks for wiring help.

Wanna build my own Roxy SG. 
i’m buying the parts but anyone know where I could get the wiring diagram for my guitar guy . 
please . Would be a great help. 

3 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

The OP's exact words, he doesn't say what brand guitar he is starting with, just asks for wiring help.

i’m buying the parts but anyone know where I could get the wiring diagram for my guitar guy . 

Yeah your right about a brand not being mentioned, but we both know when we talk SG's its the double pointy ones. It may be Gibby or Epi or some other one, but I think the shape of the guitar, he wants devil horns. I say, I think.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Yeah but we both know when we talk SG's its the double pointy ones. It may be Gibby or Epi or some other one, but I think the shape of the guitar, he wants devil horns. I say, I think.

Yep, I got off track from reading some of the comments, which led me to complete guitar construction.

After reading the description of the Roxy that it has both Coil Tapping and Phasing, it would need to possibly use a 3-Way 4-Pole (12 connections ) On/On/On Mini Toggle for each of the pickups directly wired to them, the toggle would send either normal or coil tapping or phasing signal to its respective tone and volume controls which would feed the 3-way pickup selector switch going to the output jack. The most complicated part is getting all of the jumpers connected correctly on the mini toggle.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSH6PiJnNTq970hakNoL

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 6:48 PM, mihcmac said:

Just the wiring I need . Have an SG body and neck . 

On 5/28/2022 at 6:54 PM, mihcmac said:

Yep, I got off track from reading some of the comments, which led me to complete guitar construction.

After reading the description of the Roxy that it has both Coil Tapping and Phasing, it would need to possibly use a 3-Way 4-Pole (12 connections ) On/On/On Mini Toggle for each of the pickups directly wired to them, the toggle would send either normal or coil tapping or phasing signal to its respective tone and volume controls which would feed the 3-way pickup selector switch going to the output jack. The most complicated part is getting all of the jumpers connected correctly on the mini toggle.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSH6PiJnNTq970hakNoL

Thanks for your help