Gibson Brands Forums

what's it to be; 335, 339, or 336?

whiskywheels

With a special birthday and retirement looming, I'm looking to treat myself to an upgrade of my Ibanez AF75, for playing jazz and blues. It would also be great if the instrument was a bit of an investment for the future.

I like the 335, but was also curious about the well reviewed 339, but they don't seem to be available anywhere here in the UK, and many stores report them as being long overdue on back order. Then I came across the CS-336, similar to the 339, but with a generally better spec and reported sound.

Do you know these guitars? Any thoughts about what, (I know this is highly subjective), sounds better? And what about playability, versatility etc. ? I'm particualary interested to hear views from any 336 owners.

Not asking for much am I? Well, it's my birthday soon... ;)

I'm a CS-356 partisan, chosen over a 335 because of the size/comfort for me as a player. I've prattled on at length about this model in several threads already... but in a nutshell I love it as a blues machine and for it's extremely wide range of available sounds (which leads to extreme versatility).

That said, at the time I got it the 339s didn't exist yet. The price makes the 339 a strong contender in today's lineup, and the few I've picked up in the shops shared the same size and playing feel. Though the 336-339 each have radically different construction methods, I've not spent enough time with a 339 plugged in to know how the sounds stack up.

But I couldn't be happier with my 356.

I voted 339 because I'm still so amazed by mine.

I gig bars every weekend and have to play everything from Classic Country to Classic Rock, with Blues, Motown and Lord knows what mixed in. I love the sound, feel, size, shape, everything about it. It will cover all the tones I need, and feels good doing it.

Having said that, I still see a 335 in my future.

Best to ya.

Murph.

Like Clayville I have a CS-356. I had planned on buying a 335 for years and played quite a few. When I found my 356 I knew I was done. Got a chance to play a 339 about a month ago and was impressed. Size and tine was nice. Sorry your having such a tough time with playing inventory over in the UK. Best of luck on your B-day and hope the retirement works for you as well!

I wanted to vote for the ES-359; it looks like a baby brother of my ES-347. They 're all really good, and will sound great in many situations. My choice of the ES-359 is subjective, but I could really use some of those PAF pickups. This is the only new 3XX series in the catalog, and I hope they come to their senses and produce a cherry version.

I decided not to go on a mad spending spree, and found a 339 plain top fat neck for a good price. It came today, and I have to say.................WOW! It was perfectly set up and presented, and I've just been playing it for the last 2 hours. It sounds superb, and seems easier to play than my strat.........must be due to the different neck?

Here in the UK they're almost impossible to find, and the reviews in the mags talk about them only being made in limited numbers, but they seem to be easily obtainable in the US?

Anyway, thanks for your comments.

I decided not to go on a mad spending spree' date=' and found a 339 plain top fat neck for a good price. It came today, and I have to say.................WOW! It was perfectly set up and presented, and I've just been playing it for the last 2 hours. It sounds superb, and seems easier to play than my strat.........must be due to the different neck?

Here in the UK they're almost impossible to find, and the reviews in the mags talk about them only being made in limited numbers, but they seem to be easily obtainable in the US?

Anyway, thanks for your comments.[/quote']

Congrats to ya there whiskydriver.

Mine is the 30/60 neck, but the tone, feel and punch outa this thing will kill.

They're not REAL easy to find in the U.S.A. I think they're limited to MF and maybe Guitar Center.

Well worth the hunt.

Again, congrats.

Murph.

Archived