Gibson Brands Forums

Recording J45 with old strings?

kharma44

Hi! 

I have been the happy owner of a J45 2019. I like it a lot, it's really a distinctive sound. Not loud, but the bass notes has this velvety sound to it. There is a special shimmer in these bass strings with relatively new strings. The treble strings are also really present and shimmery - like an air lift eq. 

I often recorded it with relatively new strings so far for most of my songs. But now, it has pretty old strings (light d'addario's) and some would call the sound dead. But in fact, it's pretty growly and with an even quicker decay. I sort of like it! Very fondamental dry sound.

How many of you guys prefer recording it with older strings like that and how many prefer newer strings?

How much do typical folk songs (what's a typical folk song? I know 😉 )  were recorded with old strings?

I ask, because most of my recordings still seem to have more overtones than what I hear from many recordings that were done (most probably) with J45s.

Thanks for sharing!

7 hours ago, kharma44 said:

Obviously right! I'm just wondering if there is a tendency among other owners.

yes, I do believe that's true

but everyone has their own way to overcome or get around, or compensate or..  well you get the idea of where I'm going.  We all hear something different, recording puts the magnifying glass on everything we play.  even tho the casual listeners would not even notice, we angst of the minutia 

3 hours ago, kidblast said:

yes, I do believe that's true

but everyone has their own way to overcome or get around, or compensate or..  well you get the idea of where I'm going.  We all hear something different, recording puts the magnifying glass on everything we play.  even tho the casual listeners would not even notice, we angst of the minutia 

Oh, that's true, we can really focus on such tiny details only us can really notice!

I greatly prefer old strings on all 3 of my acoustics.  Old being 3 years.  Enjoy the 'different' sound when I finally put a new set on - but look forward to that crisp, clear zing fading.   You've described better than I ever could the warmth and personal tone of worn in strings - especially on the 2 short scale ones.  I think you get to hear the guitar itself, without the strings overpowering it.