Gibson Brands Forums

Original Collection Hummingbirds

Rosinante

Who owns or has played one of the original collection hummingbirds?  How do they compare to the Standards or better yet how do they compare to the 60's fixed bridge historic collection?  Is the historic worth a grand more?  If anyone has a hummingbird and loves it tel me all about it, bonus points if the Hummingbird is your number 1.

I have one that I bought new in 2020.  I haven't played the standard or 60s fixed bridge historic so cannot tell you how they compare.  I do love mine, to me it sounds like a Hummingbird should.  Cosmetically it came flawless from Sweetwater.  I tend to put 80/20 bronze strings on which gives it a little brighter (but not much) sound than the phosphor strings.  I like it so much that a year later when I found a limited run maple body version I bought that as well.  I love them both, but the original is the one I play most often.

FfHIVU5.jpg

2 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

I have one that I bought new in 2020.  I haven't played the standard or 60s fixed bridge historic so cannot tell you how they compare.  I do love mine, to me it sounds like a Hummingbird should.  Cosmetically it came flawless from Sweetwater.  I tend to put 80/20 bronze strings on which gives it a little brighter (but not much) sound than the phosphor strings.  I like it so much that a year later when I found a limited run maple body version I bought that as well.  I love them both, but the original is the one I play most often.

FfHIVU5.jpg

There are not a lot of acoustic guitars I would like with that blue finish but for some reason i love it on the HB. Nice pair of guitars.

• Like 1

My standard “bird” is approaching twenty-years old.  I’ve used it one-hell-of-a-lot over the years.  I was, for a while, actually thinking of getting a Hummingbird TV.  Lots of great reviews and videos on it.  However, I finally started thinking about what I would gain over my Standard.  Played a couple TV models and they were really sweet, but so is my Standard.  I decided to forget the newer versions (and they are great guitars), because they didn’t really offer me anything  beyond what my Standard has.  Besides, my Standard bird is part of me.  Its scars and coffee stains are mine and I kind of like that.  I’ve built a lot of my music around it and what it represents to me.  Don’t get me wrong!  I love looking at new guitars, but sometimes what you’ve got is all you need.

I have the 60s Fixed Bridge Hummingbird. Bought it used about 2 years ago, and am very happy with it. I had a Standard HBird but sold it prior to moving several years ago. I missed it almost immediately. Luckily I found the 60s Bird and brought it home. It sounds much better than the Standard bird I had previously, and plays really well. I don't know if it's my #1, but I enjoy playing it regularly, along with a couple other acoustics I'm privileged to have in the house. Hope this helps some with your search.

I have my Dad’s 99 Bird. It is one of the easiest playing guitars i have ever played. When the mood calls for theHB, nothing else can substitute. I have tried numerous different strings on mine but keep going back to D’Addario’s. What are some of you using on yours?