Gibson Brands Forums

Biggest Size of SJ200

SRO114

51 minutes ago, SRO114 said:

I have a a 2021 Gibson SJ200 Original AN but I had a bigger size SJ200 years ago. Does anyone know where I can get the bigger size model in the same Antique Natural finish?

Thanks

I have always been led to believe that from the start they have been a 17” Jumbo with 25.5” scale neck. I’ve played a handful of ‘50s and ‘60s SJ200s and have owned a 2003 and my current 2015, all of which have been the same size. I’m intrigued to know more about this! 

Not having anywhere close to the expertise of Jinder - but I've had my SJ200 natural for around 15 years now and have also always understood they were a 'standard' size.  What was bigger on the one you had, measurably bigger or just 'feel' ?   How many years ago?   Did it come with a 'Gibson' case ?  

I just measured my wife's 1960 J200 and it clocks in at 16 7/8" wide at the lower bout with a depth at the butt end of 4 7/8".  But as this remains the only J200 we have ever owned, I do not have a clue what specs Bozeman has gone with or what they consider "standard" size.  

Edited by zombywoof

10 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Not having anywhere close to the expertise of Jinder - but I've had my SJ200 natural for around 15 years now and have also always understood they were a 'standard' size.  What was bigger on the one you had, measurably bigger or just 'feel' ?   How many years ago?   Did it come with a 'Gibson' case ?  

Was the depth in the body that is the real difference. I think the models they make now are more slim which takes away the appeal of an SJ200 IMO.

31 minutes ago, SRO114 said:

Was the depth in the body that is the real difference. I think the models they make now are more slim which takes away the appeal of an SJ200 IMO.

You do realize that the body depth at the tail block of an SJ 200 started off at 4 1/2".  I am going to guess that no Bozeman-made version was slimmer than this.  But yeah, the depth steadily increased over the decades supposedly reaching 5" (I cannot speak from personal experience on this) sometime in the 1960s.  

Edited by zombywoof

2 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

You do realize that the body depth at the tail block of an SJ 200 started off at 4 1/2".  So, the Bozeman models are slimmer than that?  But yeah, the depth steadily increased over the decades supposedly reaching 5" (I cannot speak from personal experience on this) sometime in the 1960s.  

No not aware of the older models I had my first one in 2020 and was the standard model and I loved it but sadly but to sell it. Trying to find where I can get the standard size model again.

I'm sure you are aware of other models, fashioned after the venerable SJ200  which have cutaways, different woods and scaled down bodies.  Epiphone has a copy - but I believe it is the same  body shape and size.  If you get an actual SJ200 from a reputable dealer, you can be sure it'll be the  same as your 2020 model.  Mine is a 2004, it is 4 7/8'' at the tail block and 16 7/8'' across the lower bout.