Gibson Brands Forums

hearing lose

Tascosa

Does anyone have experience with streaming your acoustic guitar to Bluetooth hearing aids. I  am thinking of using a tv streaming device from amp to hearing aids. A p/u to amp to streamer to hearing aids.   I use Bluetooth from tv and iPhone to aids to hear. Now you know all I do about electronics! 

50 minutes ago, Tascosa said:

Does anyone have experience with streaming your acoustic guitar to Bluetooth hearing aids. I  am thinking of using a tv streaming device from amp to hearing aids. A p/u to amp to streamer to hearing aids.   I use Bluetooth from tv and iPhone to aids to hear. Now you know all I do about electronics! 

Not bluetooth, which is your main point - but with the  hearing aids I have - it took awhile for the audiologist to dial them in on their specific software so my acoustic didn't sound tiny with feedback.  Had to bring the guitar to his office.  

room mode not enough, too much background noise. Bluetooth channels directly to ears with noise cancelation. Works great to hear phone call or tv. Phone goes directly but tv must go thru a device connected to tv. You can hear tv without any volume on. Great to watch without bothering others. That is what I need to play with only guitar hearable to others but more to me. New tech.  can be helpful to impaired people. Still miss dialing a rotary phone though!! Have a great day. 

Seems like latency would be a big problem with a bluetooth device, wouldn't it? Latency is the delay between when something occurs and when you actually hear it, and is measured in milliseconds (ms) which are 1/1000 of a second. Working with audio and video, I find a one or two millisecond delay very noticeable. As an approximation, sound travels about one foot per millisecond.

Bluetooth devices have a lot of latency,  just saw a review of bluetooth "gaming headphones" that have 70ms latency - that's still quite a lot. I believe Apple's Airpods have around 200ms, which is huge. It's not an issue watching a TV show (for example) because the picture can just be delayed by the same amount of time to keep the audio in sync, but that can't be done while playing the guitar live. The latency is the result of processing that must be done to the audio data in order to transmit it wirelessly.

Can't you just use conventional, wired earphones when you practice?

good thought. I wondered if that would be a problem. It would be like hearing yourself twice as an echo. How would earphones work with an acoustic guitar over hearing aids. That is a problem in itself. Thank you for bringing good info . 

Wired headphones have almost no latency, so you are hearing what happens in very close to real time. Sorry, I am not very educated about hearing loss. Can you not hear anything without your hearing aids? 

Edited by Boyd

nope! not fun, loud machinery over years, with loud military before that. No one was much interested in protection as they are now. So, take heed! I will say that the new hearing aids offered now are great, especially the Bluetooth streaming. 

• Like 1