Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG custom 2006 real or fake?

Kim Akerholdt

Instead of making people download your pics which is risky online, you can host them on Imgur and embed the links here

I live on the edge so I looked at one of the pics and sadly the guitar is definitely fake. Even in the first pic you see the slotted metric bridge and general wonkiness

4 hours ago, Kim Akerholdt said:

We thought it might be fake but the serial number is a genuine Gibson serial number.

Are you 100% sure that it's a fake? Is it worth anything at all? Are there any parts of the guitar that's not fake? 

Dub-T-123 knows his stuff, so yes its a fake.

Anybody can find & use a real serial number on a fake.

Its worth? Anybody's guess. It might have half decent components, and it might not. The tuners look like authentic Grovers. 

The guys who faked it I'm sure stamped what was a real Gibson Serial Number, but the font they use is wrong. There are so many little things that look off. Its fake all day long.  Try to get your cash back or else your bro is stuck with what ever he paid for a forgery.

I was already positive it was fake from the first pic but every pic shows a different problem. It is easy to look at photos of a real Gibson online and copy the serial number, so that’s what they do with these fakes. The serial number is applied to the guitar in a way that is not correct for a genuine Gibson anyway

I’m guessing it’s worth somewhere in the neighborhood of $200-$300 but I don’t research the going rate of these things

On 11/27/2022 at 11:48 AM, Dub-T-123 said:

I was already positive it was fake from the first pic but every pic shows a different problem. It is easy to look at photos of a real Gibson online and copy the serial number, so that’s what they do with these fakes. The serial number is applied to the guitar in a way that is not correct for a genuine Gibson anyway

I’m guessing it’s worth somewhere in the neighborhood of $200-$300 but I don’t research the going rate of these things

In his case is worth what he paid for it, and he did.