Gibson Brands Forums

Odd question on mix of guitars

Mike CT

Right now I have a 2017 LP STD, a 2019 SG STD, and I just got a 2000 Explorer (from that post here from the other day).  I’m blown away by everything with the Explorer.

My question is if you have a favorite  guitar, would you rather sell one of your others and get another of the one that you really like.   I pretty much drafted Reverb sales listing for my Les Paul and the SG thinking that I’d recycle that money into a white Explorer (mine is black) and maybe just swap out the 496/500s for some alincos (like the new 70’s tribute pickups) for some tonal variety.   I just love everything about that guitar:  balance, sounds massive, frets, and it looks awesome.   My hesitation is that I’m arguably still in the honeymoon phase with it and down the road I might appreciate the variety of 3 different ones.  Right now, I’m leaning more towards cutting the SG loose instead of the Les Paul if I want to get another Explorer.   That year’s SG has a lower fret profile and its just a lot of money to have it regret.  Love the larger frets on the Explorer.   The frets on the Les Paul are in between those two which is fine.

I just want to keep it at 3 electrics at this point and I like to play (just for fun at home) classic metal, hard rock, and even modern country (which today is basically rock).

Thanks for entertaining a strange question.

Mike

Edited by Mike CT
Forgot something

I would keep the three different models as opposed to having 2 Explorers.  While the SG and LP are quite similar, if I were to sell one, I wouldn't get a second Explorer, maybe go for a semi-hollow body or something different.  After you've become a super rich rock star then you can have a different color explorer for each day of the week.