Gibson Brands Forums

I'm not sure if I like it. Warning, it's a Martin

gearbasher

20 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

That one is not in his collection. What is that weird 4 string tiny Martin the short guy plays called? On one album a D-28 or D-18 had its original pickguard replaced with a ginormous one on the top and bottom of the sound hole. He must me a punishing strummer.

Chief,

That instrument, being played by Nick Reynolds is a tenor guitar, specifically a Martin model 0-18T, which was spruce/mahogany (as you'd expect from the model designation), and tuned C, G, D, A, which is the same tuning as a tenor banjo, mandola, or viola.

The members of the group were always Martin guys, and their dreadnoughts were

D-18s or D-28s, although as in the video I posted earlier, Bob Shane is playing a smaller Martin.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

"Kinda hurts my fingers..." 

fyp.,

Practice, lad. Practice.

That pain is the Guitar Gods way of telling you to work harder.

The two minor ninth chords are tough for me to throw down quickly, but the harder I work at them, the easier it becomes to play the little suckers.

You remember the classic line when someone asked, "Excuse me, but how do I get to Carnegie Hall." And the person replied, "Practice".

Musician, heal thyself.

RBSinTo

• Thanks 1

On 12/24/2022 at 11:03 AM, RBSinTo said:

fyp.,

Practice, lad. Practice.

That pain is the Guitar Gods way of telling you to work harder.

The two minor ninth chords are tough for me to throw down quickly, but the harder I work at them, the easier it becomes to play the little suckers.

You remember the classic line when someone asked, "Excuse me, but how do I get to Carnegie Hall." And the person replied, "Practice".

Musician, heal thyself.

RBSinTo

Thanks for the chord transcription!  I'll finally be able to do the song justice.   I guess jazz musicians are like dogs - they can hear things the rest of us can't.    

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

Thanks for the chord transcription!  I'll finally be able to do the song justice.   I guess jazz musicians are like dogs - they can hear things the rest of us can't.    

fyp.,

Glad to help.

Consider it my Christmas present to one and all here.

It has always bothered me when music for certain songs either isn't available, or available and incorrect or missing certain parts, (as is often the case with some songs by lesser known Canadian rock groups for example), so when I have correct music that is unavailable for whatever the reason, I'm happy to share it.

As for your observation about jazz musicians, I think it actually applies to all musicians who are classicly trained. My teacher has the same skill and told me that when he was in university, he was tested upon his ability to listen to music and identify notes and chords, relying upon his knowledge of music theory and his trained ear.

Me? I'm lucky if I can hear a piece of music and know the name of the song.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo
  • Like 1