Gibson Brands Forums

I'm not sure if I like it. Warning, it's a Martin

gearbasher

27 minutes ago, gearbasher said:

I'm a Martin guy and that's yucky. I sure as hell don't like the price.

If anyone wants a used D-45 I saw one it GC the other day. It was $5499. Not sure what year was. The strings on it were so nasty I didn't even bother to ask ot play it. That is what I hate about GC. You clowns are selling a 5k guitar, and you can't even be bothered to grab a pack of $10 strings and restring it. 

That guitar is all yours if you want it, I will gladly step out of your way and let you have a whack at it.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

22 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

If anyone wants a used D-45 I saw one it GC the other day. It was $5499. Not sure what year was. The strings on it were so nasty I didn't even bother to ask ot play it. That is what I hate about GC. You clowns are selling a 5k guitar, and you can't even be bothered to grab a pack of $10 strings and restring it. 

That guitar is all yours if you want it, I will gladly step out of your way and let you have a whack at it.

I just, kinda, like "different". The only Martin I ever owned was a birdseye maple D-60. I only bought it because it didn't look like your typical Martin. I felt the fingerboard radius was too flat for me and I hardly played it. Yet, when I sold off most of my guitars, that one was the one I regretted the most.

Edited by gearbasher

You would have to modify your wardrobe when performing with it.  But, it isn't as bad as the fluorescent green J45s,  or the professionally relic'ed guitars we've seen.    If I somehow found it under my Christmas tree -  I would be super happy.  But I'd swap out that PG before New Year's Eve. 

20 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

You would have to modify your wardrobe when performing with it.  But, it isn't as bad as the fluorescent green J45s,  or the professionally relic'ed guitars we've seen.    If I somehow found it under my Christmas tree -  I would be super happy.  But I'd swap out that PG before New Year's Eve. 

Yeah if Santa brought me that I'd sell it and get a M-36, and have cash to spare. So no Kermit The Frog Green Workhorse for you, but but but its the J-45.

On 12/16/2022 at 10:24 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

The only guitar I ever bought from GC was a late-1950s Kay K24.  The strings were so nasty you pretty much needed a tetanus shot to play it.  When I asked why they did not bother to at least slap on a fresh set of strings they said it was not GC policy to make even that change on "vintage" guitars.  But I also walked out of the store with the guitar in hand for $400.  Still, you would think with a used  upper end Martin . . .   

As to the guitar in the photo.  My congrats to Martin for making a custom model which in at least the looks department would fit right in with offerings found in a 1960s mail order catalog.

Edited by zombywoof

On 12/16/2022 at 10:47 AM, gearbasher said:

I just, kinda, like "different". The only Martin I ever owned was a birdseye maple D-60. I only bought it because it didn't look like your typical Martin. I felt the fingerboard radius was too flat for me and I hardly played it. Yet, when I sold off most of my guitars, that one was the one I regretted the most.

Martin unlike Gibson does not make many Maple Guitars. I don’t even think there are any Maple Guitars in Martin’s line up right now.

I have been trying to get an accurate copy of the chords for The Kingston Trio's  most famous song, "Scotch and Soda" and in my on-line research, came across this video of Bob Shane, one of the founding members of the group playing it a few years before he died. The Martin guitar he is playing looks very much like the one in this thread, although Shane's isn't a Dreadnought.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo
  • Like 2

On 12/20/2022 at 10:21 AM, RBSinTo said:

I have been trying to get an accurate copy of the chords for The Kingston Trio's  most famous song, "Scotch and Soda" and in my on-line research, came across this video of Bob Shane, one of the founding members of the group playing it a few years before he died. The Martin guitar he is playing looks very much like the one in this thread, although Shane's isn't a Dreadnought.

RBSinTo

I really loved that song. (got me interested in scotch AND guitars !)    Funny how that group - the original Kingston Trio - shared back and forth popular hits with artists from other genres:   Pete Seeger (Where Have All the Flowers Gone,  Frank Sinatra (It Was A Very Good Year), Beach Boys (Sloop John B.)    They had a wide range of  songs, from this one, to pure folk like Tom Dullah to  Scarlet Ribbons and, of course, who could forget  "The MTA".  A political ''protest' song.    Hope you find the chords.  From the video - looks like they're past my Cowboy Chord repertoire. 

27 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

I really loved that song. (got me interested in scotch AND guitars !)    Funny how that group - the original Kingston Trio - shared back and forth popular hits with artists from other genres:   Pete Seeger (Where Have All the Flowers Gone,  Frank Sinatra (It Was A Very Good Year), Beach Boys (Sloop John B.)    They had a wide range of  songs, from this one, to pure folk like Tom Dullah to  Scarlet Ribbons and, of course, who could forget  "The MTA".  A political ''protest' song.    Hope you find the chords.  From the video - looks like they're past my Cowboy Chord repertoire. 

fyp.,

I've had music for this song for over 50 years, but it was not entirely faithful to the recordings. Recently, I became aware of the "Final Concert" version of the song, and have been trying to put the finishing touches here and there to my version of the music throughout the song.

After getting together with my Brother-in-law, who is a very fine jazz pianist, his trained ear worked out the correct chords I was missing, and now have a correct score that corresponds to the recorded version.

And while there are a few exotic chords here and there, much of the song does in fact use "cowboy" chords.

RBSinTo

12 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

fyp.,

I've had music for this song for over 50 years, but it was not entirely faithful to the recordings. Recently, I became aware of the "Final Concert" version of the song, and have been trying to put the finishing touches here and there to my version of the music throughout the song.

After getting together with my Brother-in-law, who is a very fine jazz pianist, his trained ear worked out the correct chords I was missing, and now have a correct score that corresponds to the recorded version.

And while there are a few exotic chords here and there, much of the song does in fact use "cowboy" chords.

RBSinTo

fyp.,

Here ya go. give a listen:

and take a shot:

RBSinTo

529981421_Scotchandsoda-MarkZaretversion.thumb.jpg.61f735f3c6f2da0f21d56271a1fef58e.jpg

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I just looked thought all my Father In Laws Kingston Trio vinyl albums. He has a  ton. That song in not on any of the ones he has. I am sure they are all original pressings.

Chief,

It has appeared on at least one earlier album, but this version is from an album called "The Last Concert", their final live one

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo

5 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Chief,

It has appeared on at least one earlier album, but this version is from an album called "The Last Concert", their last  live one

RBSinTo

That one is not in his collection. What is that weird 4 string tiny Martin the short guy plays called? On one album a D-28 or D-18 had its original pickguard replaced with a ginormous one on the top and bottom of the sound hole. He must me a punishing strummer.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper