Gibson Brands Forums

Can’t find serial number information 1970? Gibson hummingbird custom

Gregger

I’m researching a guitar that I found for sale and I’m a little stuck. It’s a Gibson Hummingbird custom made in Kalamazoo the serial number is A820136 does anyone know what that means ? Year ? Anything? 

also it have a three screw truss rod cover and I thought that was always the indicator that it’s fake. But I’ve looked them up and some have some don’t. I’m thinking it’s from 73-75 but I’m not sure. I measured the neck it seems to be the right length also. 

also it has a neck twist and a bit of a neck warp. Can that be fixed? Guys asking 2000.00 CAD but I don’t want to buy a 🍋

have I found something great or is it fools gold….please help.  

thanks. 

greg 

DEAB73E4-5E84-4A08-A11A-9EB5744331E9.jpeg

24C4EAB9-097F-477B-AD07-84B6E909F156.jpeg

E3BF1059-887D-4CE7-9F24-B30B3F02AD56.jpeg

45B511C4-2334-4CC7-9DCE-FB32927FE46B.jpeg

ED613503-A5B0-4259-8949-A19E944719B6.jpeg

31432F6A-2FC0-4FBA-9358-D311DAC4CB69.jpeg

2BE42F82-71FF-4000-8C2E-F0551352CCC2.jpeg

Not sure about the year, however, me personally, if it has anything to do with or close to being around the Norlin (dark years), I'm saving my money, especially with a neck problem and a 3 hole cover. I would also be curious of what's inside of that bird, to include the bridge plate. I notice what appears to be, two holes in the bridge, but that may not mean anything.

I won’t wholesale bash Norlin era Gibsons because some were outstanding. 

However. 

As it pertains to 70s acoustics, I’ve seen many with twisted necks and seemingly non functioning truss rods. There is no quick easy fix. There is NO “good” fix for a twisted neck at all. I would run like the wind. 

If you have some time to kill the Grover tuners on the guitar do not have the Pat. Pending stamp.  So, Gibson had obviously run out of them by the time the HB was built.  Although I cannot remember when that stamp disappeared and lack the interest to do what it takes to refresh my memory you should be able to find it without a ton of work.

Edited by zombywoof

Trying to leave emotion out of it which involves my personal opinion of Gibson acoustics built from the late-1960s up to 1983 when Jim Deurloo and the gang still holding on in Kalamazoo attempted to resurrect the breed by returning to older specs, the asking price is less than 1/2 what a quick look-see at Reverb shows these guitars going for.  So, whether the OP chooses wisely or not comes down to how good they be at identifying both existing and potential condition issues and coming up with an estimate of how much it will cost to make right what is wrong.  When I hear twisted and badly cupped neck (beyond what the truss rod can correct) I think neck reset and compression fretting.  I had both done four or five years back so I know how much poorer I was when I walked out of the shop.  in this case the guitar was worth less than what say a '73 HB brings.   Was it worth it to me?  You betcha.  

6 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Did Norlin era acoustics have TRC’s that had 3 screw holes?

They appear sporadically on Gibsons in the 1970s.  I have seen them more often as not on guitars built  1973 to 1975.  Then again as I have no interest in these instruments, I have not paid a whole lot of attention to the TRC.   Whether there was any rhyme or reason for it though I do not have a clue.

Edited by zombywoof