Gibson Brands Forums

More Rock Type Rocs

Sgt. Pepper

I watched a documentary last night on Amazon Prime about the rise and fall of the legendary Tower Records. I used to go to the one in Campbell, California across the street from the Pruneyard all the time when it was opened. They showed a quick pic of the one in Campbell on the screen. They also had a quick 20 second clip showing people shopping in the one in Yokohama, Japan, I used to go to when Stationed in Yokosuka. It was about a 25 min train ride from the base. There was no mention of the one in Pearl City, Hawaii. I used to visit that one too when I was at Barbers Point. I totally forgot Tower was started in Sacramento, the state capital, and one of the hottest places on Earth during the summer. One of my good friends worked at Tower Records in Campbell and man did we get tons of free records from there. At the end of the night about a half hour before they closed, to get people out of the store they used to play The Residents. I will be seeing them in April in Carborro, NC. Tower in Campbell used to be 3 separate, but connected stores. Tower Records, Tower Tapes, and Tower Posters & Plants. Of course in the 70's in P & P's there was a head shop in the back you had to be 18 to enter.  Tower Records is still open in Japan and there are stores all over the country. I spend hours and hours of my useless life in that store.

Me and my wife watched the Jeff Beck doc Still On The Run the day we found out he passed. Its good if you have never seen it. Jeff tinkers with hot of hot rods. Gilmour, Page, Woody, Rod The Mod, Tal and a few of the other females he played with him all are in it getting interviewed. I don't remember any fake Pirates who play guitar in it though. The clip of Page and Beck at the RRHOF Induction playing Beck's Bolero and Immigrant Song and I think Train Kept A Rolling to was in the doc.

Here is the one in Campbell, anyone remembers it?

mQDGqFo.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Don't remember any Tower Records out this way.  Our big record outlets were Harmony House, Peaches and Dearborn Music(which is still in business).  And too(not to), when still in business E.J. Korvette  had a reputed record department.  Much of my vinyl was purchased there(not their).  

Whitefang

48 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Don't remember any Tower Records out this way.  Our big record outlets were Harmony House, Peaches and Dearborn Music(which is still in business).  And too(not to), when still in business E.J. Korvette  had a reputed record department.  Much of my vinyl was purchased there(not their).  

Whitefang

They were mostly on the West Coast and then they opened one in NYC. Then Mexico, Argentina, Japan and a few other places in the world. I have heard of Peaches and was told it was a killer music store. We also had The Recored Factory, Rainbow Records, and The Wherehouse Records. I worked at Wherehouse for a while. I thought it would be cool to look at records all day, but I mostly worked in the video rental section.

3 hours ago, IanHenry said:

As a side note, a couple of days ago, I read a newspaper article saying HMV the largest record shop chain in the U.K has been saved from it's demise by the recent revival of vinyl which rather surprised me.   

Are any Virgin Mega Stores still open? No virgin joke’s allowed.