Gibson Brands Forums

Chet Atkins SST

goodbyetonto

I was considering a Chet Atkins SST. The one I am looking at is 16 years old. On a guitar of that age, do you know if the bind between the neck and the body begins to weaken? Do any of you know if it would need to be refurbished in any way in order to keep that particular joint strong? Any other problems with that guitar?

I certainly haven't come across that problem with an SST or any other Gibson acoustic I've played. If the action is high and the saddle is low, there is a chance that it may need a neck reset (not uncommon for any acoustic) but other than that I wouldn't say it would need anything doing bar a setup as a matter of course.

You might get more help with your questions by doing another post on the 'electric' side the Gibson Forum. Most of us over here are more from the old fashioned, pre-electric, 'By God, that's a big dinosaur!' era.

I think George Gruhn had one of those last year. I almost bought it just, because.

If it eases your mind, I have a 1933 Gibson Mandolin with eight strings tuned to the point of breakage. The power pulling on that hide glue as much as I'd like to respond to that Cat Stevens thread, and that neck has never been reset.

Age is a good thing.

I mean..............

To a point.

Bwahahahahaha.

i've seen a lot of the SSTs with this issue actually. they just don't seem to be able to handle the tension. they were cool when new but they have bugs. many need neck resets and the electronics are shakey. this isn't b/c it's a few years old.... just quirks of the particular model.

Archived