Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson ES-175 - Florentine cutaway - shape ?

ADVID

I've gor a lovely old 1962 175 (Natural) that I've had since the 70's and an Epiphone 175 that I use on gigs (don't take the Gibson out now ... you never know ???).
I've been thinking of trying/buying a cheapish chinese lookalike from Ali Express ..there are quite a few on there..
BUT - I've notiiced when viewing them the florentine cutaway doesn't look quite right when compared to both my guitars....It looks a lot less 'bendy' and doesn't curve up as on my two....
Has anyone noticed this - or has purchased one from China and can compare it with a 'real' Gibson..?

I can't answer your question honestly, because I hadn't actually looked to compare the two.  But, I would think, if you are using it to gig - no one else would notice either.  Does the knock off say "Gibson" on the headstock?  That's as far as 99% of the people in the crowd would notice.  

35 minutes ago, ADVID said:

I've gor a lovely old 1962 175 (Natural) that I've had since the 70's and an Epiphone 175 that I use on gigs (don't take the Gibson out now ... you never know ???).
I've been thinking of trying/buying a cheapish chinese lookalike from Ali Express ..there are quite a few on there..
BUT - I've notiiced when viewing them the florentine cutaway doesn't look quite right when compared to both my guitars....It looks a lot less 'bendy' and doesn't curve up as on my two....
Has anyone noticed this - or has purchased one from China and can compare it with a 'real' Gibson..?

You are wanting to buy a cheap Chinese look alike, and your worried about the cutaway. Dude are you serious? Its a fake Chinese model. If it is not to your liking buy a slightly more expansive fake model with a cutaway you like. 

I wonder if CSNY ever recorded with fake D-45's?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1