Gibson Brands Forums

J45 Overdue Report!

aldiablo

Hi guys,

I haven't posted since I bought my J45 Standard over a year ago. Your advice really helped with that purchase on a just wanted to give a short report on my experience so far.

I have to say I have been loving this guitar! I would describe then tone as woody and on the dark side but I love that. It is not a zingy guitar. It's focused and earthy

I am using  lot more acoustic guitar than I used to as I'm doing a solo project.  I've also started gigging again with just me and an acoustic for the first time and the J45 has been doing a great job for gigs and records great.

I had a little trouble getting it set up properly. For the first time I've stared to down tune my guitar a step to as it has been working better for some of my own songs and I've been using a capo for other songs. I got a set up in a local music store and I didn't like it at all. It would not intonate properly for me at all, especially the B string. I then brought it to another guy who is very well regarded and great at what he does and it's a lot better. It's tuning is way better though I do still have to tweak it from time to time and find the right balance. It goes out slight bit when I use a capo but that's pretty normal. It is still mainly the B string that I need to balance right but it is way better. I am using 13's to accommodate the down tuning.

Has anyone else had any issues with tuning or intonation? Particularly on the B string. Maybe it's the down tuning doing it. 

I've been enjoying having a quality acoustic so much that I am now selling a few bits of unneeded gear to fund another purchase, and my thoughts have gone towards a Jumbo. I want something different from the J45, which has a great woody slightly dark kind of tone, to have more options for recording and gigs.

I have been going between 2 Jumbos, the Guild F-55 Maple and a Gibson SJ-200. I have always been a big Gibson guy but have also always considered Guild a very cool brand and respect them a lot. There happens to be a F-55 Maple in a local guitar store and I tried it out yesterday and I have to say it was great. Definitely brighter than the J45 but still has a bottom end wallop. Very articulate and well balanced. Lovely to play too. It's also on sale with €700 knocked off the retail price.

Unfortunately there is no J200 anywhere to compare it against. I have played some in the past but not in a long time and never for long. I can remember it being really nice but have no specific memories of tone etc.

So I'm wondering has anyone compared these two jumbos or maybe owned both at some stage? How do they compare? What are the differences? Also what do you guys think of pairing up a J45 with a F-55 to give tonal variety?

The SJ-200 obviously also has the disadvantage of being way more expensive.

Thanks,

Al 

• Like 1

Glad you've had great success with your j45.   I got my sj200 before my j45 , but they both complement each other beautifully.  No tuning issues with either.  Tweaks when the humidity fluctuates.   Dealer set up J45 for me and it's been perfect since then, 5 years or so.  Also tune it a full step down - with 12 lights.   Can't speak to the Guild though.  The sj200 is not an overly loud guitar. In fact the j45 seems to 'project' more.  The sj200 is broader, deeper  or  'fuller'.   G'Luck !  

Thanks fortyearspickn. Super cool you have a J45 and an SJ200! The tuning on my J45 is much better now. I think I have a super sensitive ear for these things tbh. Especially on the B string as it goes from wound to unwound. 

I actually found that when I was trying out the F-55 in the shop that it wasn’t as loud as my J45 too! Funny as you’d think they’d be louder. It definitely sounded different to the J45. 

I think the main advantage to the F-55 is that it’s there in the shop for me to try, it’s on sale and it’s way cheaper than a SJ-200.

I could stretch for an SJ-200 though if it was really worth it. Even if it was a buy before try situation.

1 hour ago, AnneS said:

As for the expense of a J200–don’t overlook a used J100 or J150 maple if you can find one. But a Guild Jumbo can sure be something special, too.

Keep us posted…

Very true yeah. I have actually considered a J-150 but the thought is in my head that if you’re getting a jumbo get a jumbo you know. Maybe that’s wrong though. I’ve never played one. 

8 hours ago, aldiablo said:

I had a little trouble getting it set up properly. For the first time I've stared to down tune my guitar a step to as it has been working better for some of my own songs and I've been using a capo for other songs. I got a set up in a local music store and I didn't like it at all. It would not intonate properly for me at all, especially the B string. I then brought it to another guy who is very well regarded and great at what he does and it's a lot better. It's tuning is way better though I do still have to tweak it from time to time and find the right balance. It goes out slight bit when I use a capo but that's pretty normal. It is still mainly the B string that I need to balance right but it is way better. I am using 13's to accommodate the down tuning.

Has anyone else had any issues with tuning or intonation? Particularly on the B string. Maybe it's the down tuning doing it. 

Al 

What I know about music theory could cover the lesser part of the head of a pin. Same for the theory and math involved in the relationship between scales, scale length, and fretboard layout. 

But I do recall reading that the intonation of the B string is at best a compromise. Compensated saddles and a decent setup help, but intonation of the B string will always be tricky.

Before getting too deep into the problem, capo the 1st fret and tune the strings accounting for the capo. Then while leaving the capo on (so the strings don't move from the release) check the intonation up the board. Sometimes there's not enough back draft on the nut slot and the string contact is not at the edge of the nut which will affect intonation.

Yeah I find that a B string really pops out to my ears. I find with a lot of guitars I’ve had tuning and intonation can be a bit of a compromise. Don’t know if it’s just my ears or what but I tend to have to adjust a bit. Most times on the B and G strings. The guitar tech I used is good and isn’t a chancer like some people out there.

Thanks for the tip Dave F. What do you mean by “backdraft on the nut slot” though? When you say the string contact is not at the edge of the nut slot do you mean that the B string isn’t sitting in the slot correctly? Sorry but I am not technical or practical!

The D55 is a big bold built like a tank Dread.  Love 'em.

At one time was part of my stable along with a couple custom Gibsons. (see pic)

These days as an ole fart who is content to sit back sip whiskey, strum my guitar and reminisce about the good old days, I am satisfied with just my J45,

3acous.jpg

Edited by DogsPart2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, aldiablo said:

Yeah I find that a B string really pops out to my ears. I find with a lot of guitars I’ve had tuning and intonation can be a bit of a compromise. Don’t know if it’s just my ears or what but I tend to have to adjust a bit. Most times on the B and G strings. The guitar tech I used is good and isn’t a chancer like some people out there.

Thanks for the tip Dave F. What do you mean by “backdraft on the nut slot” though? When you say the string contact is not at the edge of the nut slot do you mean that the B string isn’t sitting in the slot correctly? Sorry but I am not technical or practical!

07-Bone-Nut-Slotting-Pitched-Headstocks.