Gibson Brands Forums

Got My Dove Back From The Luthier!

BluesKing777

3 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

I haven’t mentioned the costs because where I live everything is 2 - 3 times the price you would pay in the US, and you probably would not understand any of it and it is hard to explain.

For example, looking at a guitar shop in Sydney, a brand new Dove for sale is $AU7,999. A L.00 Standard is $AU5,199.

So at least double as it would cost in the US. .......more for some things.

I use to order guitars from Elderly or similar, get it delivered Fedex, our exchange rate was good and all was coochy. Your previous government changed the rules so we had to buy from a local dealer and of course, they put the prices up even more. No more Fedexing.

Got it?

So $AU2,500 to buy my 2005 Dove plus $AU400 to fix it are great numbers here!

P.S. Further example.......at a local acoustic shop, the price for a new Gibson 1960 Hummingbird Fixed Bridge Heritage Cherry acoustic (that is a mouthful to say!)  is listed at $AU9,699.

At Sweetwater, it is $US5,199

if I could order direct like I use to be able to, can’t.....I would get it for $AU8,838.30............$AU1310.70 LESS!!! Aye Yi Yi Yi!!!

Except I have lost interest in buying new, why would I when I prefer a 20 year old guitar fixed up? Broken in but preferably not broken............

BluesKing777.

Ahhhh...I see now. Earlier when you mentioned "Badland" I thought you were referring to our Badlands area in South Dakota here in the US.

Certainly makes more sense now. Thanks!

4 minutes ago, jibberish said:

Ahhhh...I see now. Earlier when you mentioned "Badland" I thought you were referring to our Badlands area in South Dakota here in the US.

Certainly makes more sense now. Thanks!

I didn’t even mention currency exchange rates - moving goalpost that can do your head in!

Easier to give up and just buy the new one highly inflated price or not.

Fedex use to be fairly reasonable, customs here were reasonable, delivery times extraordinary sometimes....but when things get delayed and money prices alter after you already paid, well.....

Thousands of old guitars around here, not exactly what was wanted maybe, but....and the local makers do fantastic stuff lately.

Yep, all in all it would take .........a Lotto win to change my mind about overseas ordering! Ha!

BluesKing777.

20 hours ago, jibberish said:

The guitar certainly is wonderful! No doubt about it!

The story, however, would be more interesting knowing how much (or how little) money was spent buying and restoring it.

My mamma use to tell us -   "Don't ask that kid how much he paid for his bike, it's not polite."

After three attempts,  here's hoping you let it go.    If you can't -  I've heard the IRS is hiring. 

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

My mamma use to tell us -   "Don't ask that kid how much he paid for his bike, it's not polite."

After three attempts,  here's hoping you let it go.    If you can't -  I've heard the IRS is hiring. 

New here.

Cost of guitar rescue is very much part of the story.

Nonetheless, this thread seemed to have resolved itself quite naturally. Is it common for people here to interject themselves into part of a thread that is clearly a convo between two people and to place manners on someone???

You did, and got punched in the nose. Foolish.

24 minutes ago, kinklern said:

New here.

Cost of guitar rescue is very much part of the story.

Nonetheless, this thread seemed to have resolved itself quite naturally. Is it common for people here to interject themselves into part of a thread that is clearly a convo between two people and to place manners on someone???

You did, and got punched in the nose. Foolish.

Thanks for the advice.   If  YOU would like to initiate a 'convo between two people'  usually here  the first step is   "PM me".     

10 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

What about:

’Please write to me, not on me!’

BluesKing777.

Here’s a start for a guitar song.  Change it, finish it and make it your own.  You’re a damn-good picker.h

A man bought this old guitar…..it was back in ‘68.  
Didn’t even know if he could learn to play.  
All he really was the song in his soul. 
And as he learned to play, this is how it would go.

4 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

Here’s a start for a guitar song.  Change it, finish it and make it your own.  You’re a damn-good picker.h

A man bought this old guitar…..it was back in ‘68.  
Didn’t even know if he could learn to play.  
All he really was the song in his soul. 
And as he learned to play, this is how it would go.

Thanks MP!

Alas, I am no songwriter, working and dedicated totally to playing blisteringly good fingerstyle acoustic guitar styles! 😐

Someone else is welcome to take up the baton though!

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

6 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Thanks for the advice.   If  YOU would like to initiate a 'convo between two people'  usually here  the first step is   "PM me".     

Got it. Here we must PM each other to avoid crabby old men from interjecting and telling people what to do.

3 hours ago, jibberish said:

Got it. Here we must PM each other to avoid crabby old men from interjecting and telling people what to do.

No way in hell you can avoid the old crabby men on here.  We are everywhere!  We do lots of wondering and wandering on this forum,   There’s no guarantee where a thread will go or ends up.   We’re just here to pick-at the still living brain cells in each others head.  Join us!👍

• Haha 1

On another note....

The luthier gave me a rough valuation, not official, but way higher than I paid....so back to presentation......if you are selling a guitar, just make sure it is in the best condition and setup you can manage. It normally pays off.

The original owner of the Dove above could have had all this done, then got a nice price for the guitar. Instead he sold it at its worst.

And...make friends with the very best luthier for acoustic guitars you can find. I have had my luthier do quite a few guitars up for me over the years, plus build me one of his custom deep body 00s...and they are all fully ...delightful! 😁

Instead of sad.😶

(though you can't please everyone in this world - one guy I sent there reckons he is pure evil and killed his guitar, but seriously I think the guy is a nutcase ....(was in a band I was in for awhile...pure...flippo. And of course, these types hit the internet bad mouthing everything.)

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777
  • Like 1