Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird vs J45/Southern Jumbo For Mixed Fingerstyle and Flatpicking

johnwilson09

33 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

One thing I do which takes the strings out of play but which I feel tells you something is to give the top near the bridge and then the rim a slight whack with the side of your thumb.  Then you just sit and listen and feel how far the vibration travels though you. 

See U in Haight-A ~ I'll be wearing cape & feathers. . . 

What about body depth of current models? I can’t find anything official but if one were less deep that would sway me. 

I have a J45 studio and the slimness is nice — I played an epiphone bird next to a Gibson j45 and the bird was considerably thinner and very comfortable in comparison. 

FWIW I’m a 6 foot tall guy at about 160 lbs — I just have an old shoulder injury that can act up if the guitar is too deep.  

An  Epiphone  'Hummingbird'  is not in anyway comparable to a Gibson Hummingbird.  I played a Gibson with someone that had that Epiphone for over a year - the differences were clear.  If you are concerned with the nuances between Gibson's J45 and  Gibson's H'Bird -  letting a $300 Epiphone influence your decision will be dangerous.  It will be difficult enough comparing the two actual Gibsons:  if they are in different stores, perhaps a week or two apart with differently aged strings and 'background noise' relying on your memory of how one sounded and felt.     The good news -  if your shoulder is an issue - you can probably cross the SJ200 off your list.  

22 hours ago, 62burst said:

But, as far as "Assure you there is a pattern"... so, what is the pattern?

? - The pattern is the 'lines' of what was described via the previous posts = the overall impression of differences as I experienced them through the years.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Which I guessed you (from your angle and path) wouldn't necessarily agree with or follow. 

Btw. let's assume we talk mahogany and only mahogany according to the theardhost's original research. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, johnwilson09 said:

What about body depth of current models? I can’t find anything official but if one were less deep that would sway me. 

Almost sure you already encountered the relative new Hummingbird Studio.

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .

Another factor not mentioned so far (and rarely at all) is the compressed nature of the J-45. Perhaps not all, but so many that Gibson's own site mentioned it earlier.                                                                                      Have to check if that detail remains on their page.*

My 2010 Standard, which is rather monstrous, had a lot of C in the beginning.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            I got it absolutely newborn when it was literally dripping with grease from neck and still had the plastic coat over the guard.                                                                                                                                                                           It has evaporated a good deal since 2010, but there are still traces of it when punched hard. 

*No, it now says : 

The Gibson J-45 Standard delivers a sound with incredible dynamic range, warm mids, and a tight punchy bass.

, , , which is the opposite, isn't it.

Well may have changed inside the box as well. . 

My experience is probably not relevant, but I can comment based on an early Hummingbirds and an early SJs -- 1962 and 1943.  These are very different animals, and my late wife and used them as role players.  The Hummingbird strummed for 60s style folk songs and the SJ for alternating thumb fingerpicking for gospel and traditional.

We also used the Hummingbird to pay "bluegrass light" in  our basement studio.  A 3/4 Kay bass, a prewar Mastertone, and a 36 AJ (or herringbone) would over power the room.

Best,

-Tom

Edited by tpbiii

(In case you haven't made a move).   Having owend both, Id say  defintiely the J45/Sj.    The bass is deep enough for the boom and you get a better chang than a Bird.   Fingerpicking, you get more clairty and a better top end.   Cheers, R. 

ps  Tom, sorry to hear your wife passed.   Be well. R 

Edited by Rambler

4 minutes ago, Rambler said:

(In case you haven't made a move).   Having owend both, Id say  defintiely the J45/Sj.    The bass is deep enough for the boom and you get a better chang than a Bird.   Fingerpicking, you get more clairty and a better top end.   Chhers, R. 

This is actually very helpful! Do you still have / use your SJ for finger style? what are you using these days?

"Do your still use your SJ".  Sure do --it's a recent get!  (see my  ngd thread).  My SJ is a great fingerpicker: distinct bass, round top,   clear &   balanced throughout.   By point of comparision, I have a CFM 00018 that you'd think would be great for fingerstyle   but is so lively across the spectrum that the overtones overhelm the fundamental (that guit can be had if anyone cares to inquire).  

29 minutes ago, Rambler said:

"Do your still use your SJ".  Sure do --it's a recent get!  (see my  ngd thread).  My SJ is a great fingerpicker: distinct bass, round top,   clear &   balanced throughout.   By point of comparision, I have a CFM 00018 that you'd think would be great for fingerstyle   but is so lively across the spectrum that the overtones overhelm the fundamental (that guit can be had if anyone cares to inquire).  

That is so interesting! Thanks for sharing. I've read a lot about the 000-18 for that application just don't really care for the Martins in general. Beautiful guitar! Enjoy!! 

I hope to be joining you soon 🙂

27 minutes ago, Gibson29 said:

As a newbie, I think as a first post it’s fitting to agree with this

Welcome ^ share knowledge wonders wisdom riddles Qs and have fun and here.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rambler said:

Hey John Wilson.  Here's a clip of Earl Scruggs fingerpicking what looks to me like an early 50s SoJo.    My 91 gets a fair representation of that sound. Enjoy.

Scruggs fingerpicked guitar pretty much the same way he picked a banjo. It's hard to replicate the sound he's getting out of that  SJ without fingerpicks, which really help you cut through.

Edited by j45nick
correction