Gibson Brands Forums

Calibrated T-Type Pickups

Willsjazz

What does everyone think of the new Calibrated T-Type pickups compared to the Classic 57s? I love the Classic 57s on my 2008 335 and have been thinking of getting another. Not sure about the Calibrated T-Types, and have herd very mixed reviews.

Edited by Willsjazz

• 3 weeks later...

I had the 57s on a Les Paul that I no longer have, but really liked them. I only recently acquired my 335 which has the T-types and initially I was wishing I'd sought out one that also had 57s. Now that I've had some playing time with the Ts, I also like them. They seem a little brighter than the 57s but that observation might be explained by the guitar in which they are used---semi-hallow vs solid. I plan to keep them. 

• 2 weeks later...

Have read different opinions about the T Type pickups. I have them on my ES335 (built late 2021) and am very happy with them. They really sound relatively "fresh" for humbuckers, but the output is similar to the pickups on my 2020 50s Les Paul. The build of the guitar certainly has an influence as well.
I'm a long-time single coil player (Telecaster) and also like Gibsons with P90 pickups. So the sound of the T Type pickups fits very well for my taste. I play clean or slightly distorted sounds through Fender Princeton or Deluxe Reverb and for that the T Types fit well. 
However, it may be that some guitarists prefer more pressure in the mids or a slightly darker sound especially in connection with distortion sounds. The T Types remain on my ES335, I have only some time ago changed the pickups of my Epiphione ES335 Clone (still from Korean production), because they had extremely much output and a very mid, musty sound. And changing pickups on a semi-acoustic guitar is not really fun.

• 1 month later...

Just to add some additional perspective…I have had matched set of Gibson 1968 patent sticker pups since 1978,.

In 2003 I purchased a 1966 Gibson Byrdland with PAF’s, and they sounded nothing alike. I also have a set of 2013 Customer Bucker ‘S’ pickups (more PAF than the real thing) and they too don’t sound like my patent stickers.  I have only heard recordings of the new t-types, and they don’t sound like my patent stickers. 

However, I do like my patent stickers for their different and very pleasing tones. But the 2013 Custom Buckes ‘S’ pair RULE.

For what it’s worth…

• 8 months later...

I have a 2011 ES-335 with '57 Classic's (and have had them in previous LP's that I have owned over the years).  I love it, but I play mostly clean through a Twin Reverb, and use a pedal for some Blues dirt.  I played a new ES-335 Figured top last week with the Calibrated T-Tops and was blown away by the clarity and articulation.  So much so that I bought the guitar.  Where have these T-tops been all my life!  An absolutely stellar sounding pickup.  IME, I characterize the '57 Classics is a rather dark sounding pickup, so the T-tops are not a "bright" pickup, per say - they sound very articulate with amazing note clarity and separation.  It's the '57's that are dark sounding. 

5 hours ago, bobalu said:

I have a 2011 ES-335 with '57 Classic's (and have had them in previous LP's that I have owned over the years).  I love it, but I play mostly clean through a Twin Reverb, and use a pedal for some Blues dirt.  I played a new ES-335 Figured top last week with the Calibrated T-Tops and was blown away by the clarity and articulation.  So much so that I bought the guitar.  Where have these T-tops been all my life!  An absolutely stellar sounding pickup.  IME, I characterize the '57 Classics is a rather dark sounding pickup, so the T-tops are not a "bright" pickup, per say - they sound very articulate with amazing note clarity and separation.  It's the '57's that are dark sounding. 

Assume you mean T-type Calibrated or, , , there are T-tops as well, but does their name include the Calibrated like the one mister Threadhost is talking about. .

I have a new 335 with the T-type Calibrated pups and they sound great. May not be the quintessential old-school ES-335 voice, but use the knobs and enter the territory.                                                       Besides lower the height - they are pretty powerful.

• 1 month later...

I recently purchased a new ES 335 with the Calibrated T-Type pickups and like them quite a bit.

For about 50 years I have primarily played single coil Fender guitars and most HB guitars have sounded comparatively darker and a bit "muddier" (to my ears), including my 2000 LP and a Proline Gretsch with Filtertrons.    The new T-Type do seem somewhat brighter and more articulate than  other  humbuckers  I am familiar with and that's a plus for my tastes.  They can provide some sparkle and jangle like SC's through my amps.  Rolling off the treble a bit smooths them out if necessary and rolling off more can make them much darker.  I like their overall power and  tone,  and they seem very versatile for my needs.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jdr1014 said:

I recently purchased a new ES 335 with the Calibrated T-Type pickups and like them quite a bit.

A good deal of what you're saying is recognized here. Those are clear and though versatile very powerful p-ups. Wonder if you have a 'height-policy'. . . 🤓

Honestly,  I haven't changed heights  from the factory setup, and haven't felt the need to yet.    They don't look to be very high though.   They sound really good through all the amps I have plugged into so far - tweed champ, SFVC, PRRI, SFSR, Vox Pathfinder 15R.

Over the  years I have gravitated toward running lower pickup heights than I used to........  

4 hours ago, jdr1014 said:

Honestly,  I haven't changed heights  from the factory setup, and haven't felt the need to yet.    They don't look to be very high though.   They sound really good through all the amps I have plugged into so far - tweed champ, SFVC, PRRI, SFSR, Vox Pathfinder 15R.

Over the  years I have gravitated toward running lower pickup heights than I used to........  

Actually long-distance-bought 2 similar guits around New Year with the idea to choose the best.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                They had different heights (and action) - and 2 significantly different out-puts. 

Idea was to pick the strong one and lower it a tad. Not too experienced, I chose to follow the guide-videos on the Tube - then go by ear from there.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Didn't want max power - needed to 'drain' a bit to find its soul. 

Edited by E-minor7