Gibson Brands Forums

What's the deal with Rio Grande pickups?

Guitar God

Does anyone know what's going on with them?  So, my birthday is next month and my Dad was wondering what I wanted and I said I wouldn't mind finally trying a set of Rio Grande pickups and I picked out the Run 'n Gun set for my PRS SE EG. I know boutique pickup makers can take awhile to get. Anyway, the order never went through and I believe he said he got something emailed back saying they were out of business or something. Weird, because their site is still up. I recently looked at their Facebook page and seen some comments from people claiming to have order issues and was wondering what was going on with them, too. It's a shame because I have heard nothing but great things about them as a company and I always wanted to try a set.  

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/26/2023 at 1:43 PM, IanHenry said:

I'm not familiar with Rio Grande pickups but I'm assuming they are modelled on Billy Gibbons Pearly Gates?  If so, it might be worthwhile looking at Cream T's Whiskerbucker pickups, apparently, he makes them for Billy:

Whiskerbucker (creamtpickupsdirect.com)

No. That was/is the company name.  They've been around since the '90's, I believe. They offered a lot of different models. I've heard nothing but great things about them over the years and just when I finally decide to try a set, I can't get them. Their site is still up, though.

On 4/24/2023 at 4:38 PM, eldorado2001 said:

I read elsewhere that the owner of the company had passed away last year. RIP

Oh, man. That's sad to hear if true. Their site is still up, too. I've read some comments on Facebook of people having similar issues and wondering what the deal is, too.