Gibson Brands Forums

NGD (used)

Narwhal6

I've been jonesing for an S-S-S or H-S-S configuration guitar for some time. Been reading up on various brands and models, window shopping on  the Sweetwater website watching demos on YouTube. Just really wanted to play a few to see what I liked best, but that meant a trip to guitar center and I just never got around to it.

Serendipitously when looking for events near me on my phone I see an ad for huge guitar basement blowout sale, not at a music store but a church. What the heck, maybe I'll take a look and see if there's anything of interest.

Lots of out of tune acoustics, some PA equipment, ah finally some off brand electrics.

A couple of Schecters, a cool Teisco which sold quickly, some strat style imitations, and this odd, heavy, blue double cut- away.  It was priced a little higher than the others but while examining it I saw on the heel plate "a Matsumoku product" made in Japan. Now I was curious as it had the H-S-S configuration and five way blade switch.

The owner said everything was negotiable why don't I try it. There was an amp set up already from the guy who bought the Teisco so I sat down and played a guitar that was immediately comfortable and had such a mournful, glassy sound I lost myself for ten minutes playing as dozens of people meandered around the tables examining the other guitars.

I offered him $300, he kind of looked hesitant, so I bumped my offer to $340 and he said sold.

This is an '85 Westone Spectrum SX, it's entirely blue, maple body, maple neck, bendmaster FT tremolo (arm is missing), five way switch, master volume, two tone knobs with a push-pull coil tap on one and an out of phase switch on the other, and blade five way switch. And everything works! And I absolutely love the sound of the neck and middle pups, this is what I've been craving for so long.

I love my Gibsons, but this is going to be my main player now. 😊

PXL_20230325_190425315

PXL_20230325_190331914

PXL_20230328_021740948

• Like 1