Gibson Brands Forums

2013 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Standard - do I have 300k or 500k pots?

LG King

As stated above, I have a 2013 Gibson Memphis Standard issue, ES-335.

I would like some information on the value of the 'pots' I have, as I am seriously considering upgrading to 500k...unless they were already 'standard' back in 2013...?

It is a laborious task to undertake...through the 'F' hole, and not looking forward to performing this operation unless I in fact do have 300k 'pots'.

What say ye...?

Thanks guys/gals, and any in-between...

Edited by LG King

• LG King changed the title to 2013 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Standard - do I have 300k or 500k pots?

I wrote Gibson (who'd a thunk) and recieved the following reply:

"Thanks for contacting Gibson Brands! I'm happy to provide some clarity on this for you. This instrument would have shipped with 300k linear volume pots and 500k audio tone pots."

Best regards,

Andy
Consumer Service
Gibson Brands, Inc.
1-800-4GIBSON

Edited by LG King

10 hours ago, LG King said:

I wrote Gibson (who'd a thunk) and recieved the following reply:

"Thanks for contacting Gibson Brands! I'm happy to provide some clarity on this for you. This instrument would have shipped with 300k linear volume pots and 500k audio tone pots."

Best regards,

Andy
Consumer Service
Gibson Brands, Inc.
1-800-4GIBSON

great result !

Good on Andy

I too have a 2013 Gibson Memphis ES335.. It's Sunburst with '57 Classic Pickups.. It's a Beautiful Guitar.. Is there a reason or advantage why they wouldn't put 500K volume pots? Are 500k better for volume pots?

50 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

I too have a 2013 Gibson Memphis ES335.. It's Sunburst with '57 Classic Pickups.. It's a Beautiful Guitar.. Is there a reason or advantage why they wouldn't put 500K volume pots? Are 500k better for volume pots?

The volume pots work with the tone pots and the capacitors to create filtering to sculpt the tone. The values they choose are going to give optimum control for a given set of pickups. Personally I wouldn't mess with them. After all, they did invent that circuit as a unit. Plus, changing out the pots on a 335 is a real PITA.

16 hours ago, 10PoundLester said:

The volume pots work with the tone pots and the capacitors to create filtering to sculpt the tone. The values they choose are going to give optimum control for a given set of pickups. Personally I wouldn't mess with them. After all, they did invent that circuit as a unit. Plus, changing out the pots on a 335 is a real PITA.

The Volume & Tone controls have very smooth transition from nil to max.. I thought all were 500k… 

I have decided that after talking to my luthier (yesterday), that I am going to order a full pre-wired '59 ES335 kit from Gary at Tone Man Guitars. My Luthier confirmed that he could do it, so hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

On 5/28/2023 at 1:39 PM, 10PoundLester said:

The Volume & Tone controls have very smooth transition from nil to max.. I thought all were 500k… 

You might do a before & after video.. 

Here is a Pic of my 2013 Memphis Custom ES-335… 

I recently bought a B-7 Bigsby & am thinking of installing it. I’ll use the Vibramate so there won’t be any holes drilled & completely reversible if need be…

IMG_0019.jpeg

IMG_0020.jpeg

Edited by Larsongs
  • Like 1