Gibson Brands Forums

New pickups

Guitar God

So, I finally decided on pickups for me PRS SE EG.  I decided on DiMarzios. Went with a DiMarzio Fast Track 2 for the bridge, DiMarzio Fast Track 1 for the middle, and a DiMarzio Pro Track for the neck. I knew I wanted something pretty hot. I originally went with the Rio Grande Run 'N Gun set, but I couldn't get them, so I had to go with something else - I made a post about that not too long ago. I looked at Bare Knuckle stuff, Lindy Fralin stuff,  Dimarzios, Duncans, etc. Had it narrowed down to the Bare Knuckle Cobras, Lindy Fralin Split Blades, and the DiMarzio Fast Track 2/Fast Track 1/Pro Track combo.  Ultimately finally decided on the DiMarzio set that I got because it's a set/combo I've been wanting to try for a long time.  Dropped the guitar at the shop today to get them installed! 

78GtwrK.jpg

And here's the guitar the pickups are going in:
UMtvUs2.jpg

Edited by Guitar God
  • Thanks 1

On 6/3/2023 at 3:21 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

When I was an electric guy I installed Rio Grande pups all the time. 

Learn to solder and do it yourself. If I can solder anyone can.

I've heard good things about them.  I've thought about learning over the years, but I was always nervous and worried that I would screw something up. 🤣

22 hours ago, Karloff said:

Check out Planet Tone pickups. I love 'em. With the exception of my 335 I have them in all my Gibsons 

I have heard of them! I didn't even think about them when I was looking. I looked at their site awhile ago and they have some interesting stuff. I'd definitely consider them for a pickup upgrade next time I upgrade something.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Guitar God said:

I've heard good things about them.  I've thought about learning over the years, but I was always nervous and worried that I would screw something up. 🤣

Nope. It’s easy. Rios are killer pups.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Guitar God said:

I have heard of them! I didn't even think about them when I was looking. I looked at their site awhile ago and they have some interesting stuff. I'd definitely consider them for a pickup upgrade next time I upgrade something.

Their prices are great, but it sometimes takes 5 weeks to get them. He hand winds them as ordered.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Karloff said:

Their prices are great, but it sometimes takes 5 weeks to get them. He hand winds them as ordered.

It never used to be like that. Are we still blaming a stupid cold/flu/disease we barley hear about anymore?

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

It never used to be like that. Are we still blaming a stupid cold/flu/disease we barley hear about anymore?

How many pickups have you ordered from Planet Tone ?  Stop making stupid comments. 

9 hours ago, Karloff said:

How many pickups have you ordered from Planet Tone ?  Stop making stupid comments. 

None. 

I play acoustic. Gave up electrics when Henry got the boot, so since then I haven’t looked  at what pickups cost cause there is no need for me to do so.

I can go down to guitar center and go into the acoustic room and there are guitars that cost $299 and guitars that are $2799.  I am sure I can go online and find pickups for dirt cheap or get Lollars (which I remember when I was into electric's) were expensive. The whole range is there.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

18 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Nope. It’s easy. Rios are killer pups.

I heard they were. I was going to get their Run 'N Gun set for it, but the order never went through and got an email back almost like they were out of business or something. I went to search for their Facebook page to see if it was still up and to find out anything and I saw several people commenting on similar issues, too, and were also wondering what was going on. So, I ended up deciding on the DiMarzios after looking around and thinking about other options.

16 hours ago, Karloff said:

I noticed their prices are really good. I may have to try a set one day. Yeah, I can see that being the typical wait period since they're handwound.  Speaking of, have you heard of Klein pickups? I have a set of their Epic 55 pickups in onee of my M.I.M Fender Strats and those pickups are amazing! Some of the best single coils I've heard.

1 hour ago, Guitar God said:

I noticed their prices are really good. I may have to try a set one day. Yeah, I can see that being the typical wait period since they're handwound.  Speaking of, have you heard of Klein pickups? I have a set of their Epic 55 pickups in onee of my M.I.M Fender Strats and those pickups are amazing! Some of the best single coils I've heard.

I have. I hear they're really good 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Guitar God said:

I heard they were. I was going to get their Run 'N Gun set for it, but the order never went through and got an email back almost like they were out of business or something. I went to search for their Facebook page to see if it was still up and to find out anything and I saw several people commenting on similar issues, too, and were also wondering what was going on. So, I ended up deciding on the DiMarzios after looking around and thinking about other options.

I think I heard the owner died  and maybe they folded.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, I got the DiMarzio's installed in my PRS SE EG.  They sounded good, but I felt they sounded a little weak. Then, I realized that it came with 250K pots stock and probably should have got some 500K pots before I took it in to get the pickups installed. So, I took it back to the shop and they had some and I had them installed. Picked it back up today and much better. Sound like they should. Really hot and beefy sounding. Cleans up good, too. Going to be spending more time with it. I'm liking them a lot so far!
u1QHSAQ.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Rio Grande's website is gone from the net. I heard (can't confirm) the owner passed away and they must have folded. Too bad they make good pups. I used them a lot on Tele's, Strat's, LP's, and SG's when I had amps and guitars that plugged in.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

On 6/28/2023 at 8:28 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

The Rio Grande's website is gone from the net. I heard (can't confirm) the owner passed away and they must have folded. Too bad they make good pups. I used them a lot on Tele's, Strat's, LP's, and SG's when I had amps and guitars that plugged in.

Shame because I've always heard great things.  Odd, because the site still comes up on my end.