Gibson Brands Forums

mis-aligned back strip

4beagles

On 7/14/2023 at 10:13 AM, fortyearspickn said:

An 1/8"  misalignment of a straight line can easily occur from a heavy hand in sanding.  I'd want to see if the whole center strip is mis-aligned or just at the end by the heel.  "A picture is worth a thousand words."     If Gibson trashed every acoustic that had 1/8" variances in - what might be a purely cosmetic area on the back - 'the money they charge' would have to be substantially higher.     Like Murph said -  I'll have to look at mine: two with center strips and one without.  I sure hope the later doesn't have an issue.  But, after 10 years, I guess I'll live with it if it does. 

They have boxes of cut headstocks  due to quality issues .  
 These little issues of mis alignments  should be looked at prior to purchase.

If your worried about not finding another guitar of the same kind  with the same appointments for the good price.  Your going to ask yourself. Should I have bought it?   Or wait till another of the same shows up with a higher price tag all to find out it has the same issues as the last one you looked at.   

if you want a two piece back to line up with the  center of the heel.   You may have to spend more to get more.    

this is why I  stopped buying over priced Gibson guitars.  And its not just Gibson. or Martin ,   

8 hours ago, slimt said:

They have boxes of cut headstocks  due to quality issues .  
 These little issues of mis alignments  should be looked at prior to purchase.

If your worried about not finding another guitar of the same kind  with the same appointments for the good price.  Your going to ask yourself. Should I have bought it?   Or wait till another of the same shows up with a higher price tag all to find out it has the same issues as the last one you looked at.   

if you want a two piece back to line up with the  center of the heel.   You may have to spend more to get more.    

this is why I  stopped buying over priced Gibson guitars.  And its not just Gibson. or Martin ,   

For what they charge there should be no issues, or it shouldn’t leave the factory like that. How about firing the head of QA. Then maybe the next one will run a tighter ship. After a certain number come back with issues do your job as a supervisor or be held accountable.

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

For what they charge there should be no issues, or it shouldn’t leave the factory like that. How about firing the head of QA. Then maybe the next one will run a tighter ship. After a certain number come back with issues do your job as a supervisor or be held accountable.

Well.  I think Gibson is to busy trying to get a perfect clone of the 59 Les Pauls.    Which one Im not sure of.     Im pretty sure a machine carves those out to the perfect crown everytime.  
So everything  else related to Acoustics  is not  important .   They have folks that can put the wood crooked into the jigs and blame the jigs for the problem.    

Between fit and finish and of the over inflated covid prices   I wont buy another Gibson.   Cant believe I said that after 15 years of buying everything in sight. 

Yes, mine is off on my hummingbird about 1/4". I never thought about looking 'til you mentioned it. It's off to the right like yours. Mine is not as noticeable because the way the mahogany grain is. Doesn't bother me in the least. I also noticed the binding appears to start and stop about center of the heel of the neck ( had to really look for that), no biggie. As long as everything stays in place, doesn't come apart and plays and sounds excellent, it's okay. I like to attribute the cosmetic things like that as reference signs in case someone steals the guitar and resurfaces somewhere (cheap insurance).

Edited by the other side
Added text.

"guys- would it bother you if the back strip on a new Gibson is off a bit - not centered on the heel- everything else is good....plays well and sounds very nice"

"It's off only by 1/8" I think.............I think the sound and feel overrides the cosmetic element...........but wanted too get some opinions......I do think any concerns would fade over time "

That is all we had/have to go on.

Boxes of faulty headstocks - as opposed to  firing QA supervisors for mountains of returns aside -   Without a good photo from the OP,   we only have his description of  a  "back strip being "off  a bit ...only by 1/8"  I think"    ?   is hard to answer.    I assume it is a visual ("only by 1/8 inch I think")  not actually 'measured' and then in line with  the centered on the heel.     Maybe they're  both 'off by 1/16th in different directions.?!    Those pre-disposed to  dislike Gibsons but come here anyway will interpret the question one way, and those pre-disposed to like Gibsons will interpret it a different way.   

In all my visits to guitar stores, I've never seen anyone with a measuring tape or a straight edge. Everyone seems more interested in how they play.     I'd be curious to know though -  the percentage of returns retailers get with the reason being what the OP described.    Again - a few here would claim it is mountains, and the rest of us would assume it is negligible.   Maybe a more balanced and unbiased answer would have been forthcoming if OP had asked the question on the AGF and not named the brand/model.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

"guys- would it bother you if the back strip on a new Gibson is off a bit - not centered on the heel- everything else is good....plays well and sounds very nice"

"It's off only by 1/8" I think.............I think the sound and feel overrides the cosmetic element...........but wanted too get some opinions......I do think any concerns would fade over time "

That is all we had/have to go on.

Boxes of faulty headstocks - as opposed to  firing QA supervisors for mountains of returns aside -   Without a good photo from the OP,   we only have his description of  a  "back strip being "off  a bit ...only by 1/8"  I think"    ?   is hard to answer.    I assume it is a visual ("only by 1/8 inch I think")  not actually 'measured' and then in line with  the centered on the heel.     Maybe they're  both 'off by 1/16th in different directions.?!    Those pre-disposed to  dislike Gibsons but come here anyway will interpret the question one way, and those pre-disposed to like Gibsons will interpret it a different way.   

In all my visits to guitar stores, I've never seen anyone with a measuring tape or a straight edge. Everyone seems more interested in how they play.     I'd be curious to know though -  the percentage of returns retailers get with the reason being what the OP described.    Again - a few here would claim it is mountains, and the rest of us would assume it is negligible.   Maybe a more balanced and unbiased answer would have been forthcoming if OP had asked the question on the AGF and not named the brand/model.   

People like to stir the pot.   Personally if they bought a guitar and noticed it after.   Thats on them. Not my issue.  Not my problem.    
alot of Karens out there.  

15 minutes ago, slimt said:

People like to stir the pot.   Personally if they bought a guitar and noticed it after.   Thats on them. Not my issue.  Not my problem.    
alot of Karens out there.  

At the end of the day its your guitar to play and look at. Do you really trust the advice of some forum member you have no clue who he/she is with your $__________ dollar guitar? If your hear venting about it are you just here for reassurance that the choice you made to keep or return it is the right one? And if its past the return window, the guitar is now called - Y O U R S.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper