Gibson Brands Forums

gold pickup cpvers

leftcoastmark

I recently purchased a ES-775 and I am new to the forum.  The  gold pickup covers have green corrosion.  wondering is there anyone that cleans and resurfaced these covers?   This has been sitting in the case  unopened for 32 years.  Some where along the way a bit of water must have gotten. in the case.  The original owner said he opened the case closed and put in in with his 150 guitar collection for 32 years. He said it has never been played.  So I would like to save the original covers.   The other reason which may or may  make difference in the value.  It’s  custom shop serial number  89199549 so I think it was an early one?.  

I'd have been very surprised if the gold hardware had been of any other condition after 25 years. Gold plate tarnishes quickly and rubs off easily. I have a Gibson with gold hardware from 2007. The condition of the guitar is exceptional. Its almost like it has not been played at all, but a close look shows the gold plating is pitted, discoloured and dull. 

If it bugs you, then you can find PU covers. I got some nickel ones a while back. Measure them carefully and make sure what you order will fit. Your idea of getting them re-electroplated is a better idea. You should be able to find someone that can do that for you. 

I used to dislike gold hardware but having owned an 80's guitar with lots of wear, I've come to like the effect of it aging. See this Kahler bridge with the wear showing where the hand rests:

a99Dntf.jpg

or these PU covers worn through also on this 1998 LP DC

faUVQeQ.jpg

If your 775 was mine I would try to clean the hardware with the least abrasive cleanser I could find and enjoy it for what it is. I understand that you prefer it pristine. Just be aware that its still going to wear more quickly than any other finish. 

Good luck.

Edited by merciful-evans

thanks very helpful.  I was wondering no water marks on the case or any where else.   The gentleman I purchased the guitar from also has a 1990 production ES-775 also stored  for 32 years.  It has the same problem with the gold pickups.   

The Gibson ES-775 was in production from 1990-1993.  Up scale version of the ES-175 or so they say.

I once restored a '67 Gretsch Country Gentleman. I took all the gold hardware (even the tuners) and sent it to a place that specializes in replating parts. They did a great job. I'll look to see if I still have their name.

49296325027_cb1d1e8c1b_z.jpg

53218877039_15b229e62b_w.jpg

Edited by Dave F