Gibson Brands Forums

Praise for "current" Gibsons...

sbpark

I've always been more of a Fender guy over the years. Most of that had to off with not being able to afford a Gibson when I was a kid on the 90's, and Fenders were more accessible and available for better prices, especially int he used market. With hat said, I've owned a few Gibsons over the years her and there, mostly SG's  in various flavors (Standards, 61 RI's, and even owned an SG All-American back in the day) along with a couple Les Paul Specials and Juniors. 

Looks like things have changed a bit. I still love my Fenders (but the two I have now are actually Partscasters because I got tired of running the racks and not being able to find anything that ticked all the boxes that didn't have AC issues, wasn't a boat anchor, etc., from Fender). In the last couple years I've acquired four Gibsons, ranging from 2019-2021; three electrics and one acoustic. I have to say that the overall fit, finish, feel and sound of all of these has been nothing short of surprising and I'm impressed. 

What else is interesting are the necks on both SG's. The '61 Standard with the Vibrola is a 2019 and the SG Special is a 2020. Both have slim taper necks, but they're way chunkier and substantial than most other slim taper necks I've played on other Gibsons. The 2021 Les Paul Junior I recently picked up used has a MASSIVE baseball bat neck. and that's also an awesome guitar. 

Seems liek Gibson is putting out some really nice guitars over the last few years. 

23 hours ago, sbpark said:

. . .

What else is interesting are the necks on both SG's. The '61 Standard with the Vibrola is a 2019 and the SG Special is a 2020. Both have slim taper necks, but they're way chunkier and substantial than most other slim taper necks I've played on other Gibsons. The 2021 Les Paul Junior I recently picked up used has a MASSIVE baseball bat neck. and that's also an awesome guitar. 

. . .

I think the neck carve is whatever the guy who carved it said it was that day.

• Like 1

Gibson neck profiles are all over the place,  you can never be sure of what you're getting.

SGs seem to be really variable, I've had them where's the rest  of it (61 Reissue) to this belongs on a classical guitar (Classic).

The SG Special and Standard have been pretty consistent from my limited experience.

Edited by SteveFord

I’ve had a number of Gibsons over the years (and today was NGD for me, my newest being a brand new 2021 SG Standard…with a single piece body) and I’ll readily agree that the QC on my more recent Gibsons (2021 J45, and todays SG Standard) is darn near perfect. My first Gibson was a 2012 Hummingbird Pro, which was a GC exclusive. I loved the sound of it, but there were some definite QC issues. Overspray and nitro run on the Bird, and bad fretwork, overspray, and factory neck relief issues on the 2013 SG standard I had around the same time. They’ve definitely stepped things up in terms of quality control the last few years,  IMO. 

75BF6311-1001-4411-8117-62F077F5270F.jpe

IMG_2767.jpg

Edited by seabeesw
Added photos
  • Like 1