Gibson Brands Forums

LG-1 Conversion

jibberish

Would an LG-1 that had its ladder bracing replaced with x-bracing be an LG-2???

As far as I can research the bracing would be the ONLY difference.

Follow-up question:

If you are a PLAYER (not a collector) and you wish to have a vintage LG-2, would you buy the cheaper LG-1 and have the bracing converted??? (all other detail considerations being equal, of course)

IMHO there's nothing wrong with doing that but you may not wind up with what you're going for. No guarantee that altering the guitar will produce a vintage sound. I would think the back would need to be removed, pry off the old bracing then make new bracing and glue the bracings and reglue the back on. Depending on the year, the back center strip may need to be added. The trim may be difference. 

4 hours ago, jibberish said:

Would an LG-1 that had its ladder bracing replaced with x-bracing be an LG-2???

As far as I can research the bracing would be the ONLY difference.

Follow-up question:

If you are a PLAYER (not a collector) and you wish to have a vintage LG-2, would you buy the cheaper LG-1 and have the bracing converted??? (all other detail considerations being equal, of course)

An LG-1 that has had its ladder bracing replaced with X-bracing doesn’t become an LG-2. It becomes an LG-1 that has had its ladder bracing removed and replaced with X-bracing.

Unless the guitar is already in pieces, it sounds like a labor-intensive (read “expensive”) experiment that may not produce the results you are hoping for.

Rejoice in the guitar you have, not the guitar you think it should be.

jibberish,

Not too long ago, I asked a similar question regarding changing the bracing in my  1974 Martin D-28 to those used in the earlier 1937 models, or those used today in the D-45, and was told to leave well enough alone.

While the sound might be altered by doing so, there was not guarantee, that the costly alteration would result in an improvement in that sound.

If you must have the sound one gets from an LG-2, then your money would be better spent buying one, than trying to make the 1 onto a 2.

RBSinTo