Gibson Brands Forums

Tom Murphy Aged?

IsaiahM45

I have a 2019 60th Anniversary aged ‘59.  I know Tom Murphy aged some of these 60th Anniversary ‘59’s.  I believe his photo was included on the ones he did (I think).  Just checking to see if it is possible that he did mine, serial number 992849.  Should I just call Gibson directly?  Any info helps. Thanks in advance.

I can’t upload ANY pics.  Even one is exceeding the limit.

8 hours ago, IsaiahM45 said:

I have a 2019 60th Anniversary aged ‘59.  I know Tom Murphy aged some of these 60th Anniversary ‘59’s.  I believe his photo was included on the ones he did (I think).  Just checking to see if it is possible that he did mine, serial number 992849.  Should I just call Gibson directly?  Any info helps. Thanks in advance.

That would be the thing to do. How would any of us know from your serial number if Tom touched your guitar? Typing you serial number here gives us no clue about it.

Use Imgur to post photos. I and many here use it.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

9 hours ago, IsaiahM45 said:

59 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

That would be the thing to do. How would any of us know from your serial number if Tom touched your guitar? Typing you serial number here gives us no clue about it.

Don't pay any attention. He has a "small" problem. Most newcomers get an unnecessarily impolite address from him. 

You could call but they do tend to make a bit of a fuss about Murphy aged. I would think it would be on the paperwork. 

Edited by Farnsbarns

15 minutes ago, Farnsbarns said:

Don't pay any attention. He has a "small" problem. Most newcomers get an unnecessarily impolite address from him. 

You could call but they do tend to make a bit of a fuss about Murphy aged. I would think it would be on the paperwork. 

So from his serial number your got it all sorted out, and answered his question, huh. Well not hardly. The first line I typed said calling Gibson was the thing to do. I don't understand how some think a serial number tells you your guitars history, its just a number assigned to a guitar.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

So from his serial number your got it all sorted out, and answered his question, huh. Well not hardly. The first line I typed said calling Gibson was the thing to do. I don't understand how some think a serial number tells you your guitars history, its just a number assigned to a guitar.

That's not what I said, is it? I just explained your small problem 🤏 that makes you address everything and everyone with a thoroughly unpleasant tone. The accuracy wasn't questioned. 

On 11/27/2023 at 6:58 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Well, seeing as how I’ve posted on here before straight from the pics on my phone, I wouldn’t think I’d have to use something else.

I would also expect some techs, some ex-employees, or someone more knowledgeable about such serial numbers to provide a response.  YOU are obviously useless to me.  Why you bothered to insert your obviously useless opinion is beyond me.  But thanks for being a ****** anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/27/2023 at 6:58 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Let me give you an example so that you’re knowledgeable next time.

You can tell how many pieces a late 60’s Les Paul Custom is made of, body and neck, by knowing if the serial number starts with a 5 or a 8.  The 5whatever has a one piece body and neck..  The 8whatever has a 3 piece neck.  I believe the body is as well.

See?  That’s the kind of knowledge I’m looking for.  Next time, feel free to read and keep scrolling if you have zero to add.

Edited by IsaiahM45
Misspelling
  • Like 2

actually  @IsaiahM45 There may have been employees or ex-employee's on this forum at one time.. I haven't seen anyone like that in a very long time here

this is a 'fan' based forum that is provided by Gibson (Fender shutdown their forum like this) , I'm surprised Gibson has not.

the Admin's are rarely here unless there is a lot of user abuse and nobody from Gibson will read/answer any questions

number of piece back is not serial number derived or if a particular worker has touched a unit.

you'd be best to contact Gibson directly; but don't think they'll give you much other that made on x day on y year

but if you wish to use a 'fan' based knowledge; the best place is the Facebook Group, The Gibson Les Paul

it has employee's and former employees that answer questions all the time (plus a lot of web based jockey know it all's; that are typically giving false advice) on that Facebook group.

as for uploading pic's.. create an imgur account, use that jpg link from the imgur.com website to post pictures here. (the limit Gibson put on the site is useless) 

• Like 3

Gibson has run through 100 different serial number schemes. It’s mind boggling to even try to remember which one is in use on the guitar you have. And still it’s just a number. Who cares if it was the 17th one stamped that day? Year, condition and is it stock, are the most important things about it. Not some number attached to it.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

OP,  your best bet is to contact Gibson Customer Service and ask them if they have any information regarding your guitar. 

1 (800) 444-2766

Prefer email? Here you go... 

Those who want information on Gibson serial numbers should have a look at this page. While not all-encompassing, it does offer some useful information. 

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Support/Serial-Number-Search

As far as Gibson employees reading and posting here, I'm here nearly every day. I don't answer a lot of questions because I have other duties and that kind of customer support really isn't my job (although I've been known to notify the CS folks about a problem or issue a customer mentioned here on the forms from time to time), but the forums are monitored by our social media folks, too, and we do care about what our fans and customers have to say. However, if you have a specific customer support question or issue, it's always best to reach out via one of the channels above. 

And finally, I'd like to remind everyone to please try to keep the conversations civil and polite.