Gibson Brands Forums

Stringjoy strings

styler

Anyone tried these?    I just put on a set of their Natural Balanced Lights.   Im not going to say this is the most amazing set of strings I ever put on but they feel good and have a very nice woody tone and don't sound overly bright. 

Because I've been using coated strings for a while these are little squeaky to me.  Its manageable though. May try their Foxwoods next. I do have a new set of Daddario XS to try also but thats another thing.

Anyway, not really giving a review yet but I was wondering what you guys who have tried them think. 

Wonderful little known strings.  Like Straight Up Strings, Santa Cruz Parabolic Tension, String Joy…

Unpopular opinion here, but pb, b, coated, etc., they’ll all sound good for awhile, plus they’re cheap!  Top investment for me is 20$ to check out a set.  So the SCPT are a no-go.  For me, on one guitar, but I’m unlikely to try them on another.  The others?  I’m not picky.  If SJ  aren’t wildly outta price like Marty’s Titanium 40$ set, I’d give it a shot, but 10 bucks after spending over  to see with no measureable  results, is the max I’m shelling.

Straight Up are 10.95, so I got 6 for less, keeping with my limit.  I liked ‘em.  But truthfully, D’Addarrio at 6-7 are fine too.

Ok after using them a little but I do have a question.   To me I'm experiencing just a smidge less comfort than I did with the factory strings. like maybe I'm having to press down harder.

Its not terrible and I can manage but it does get thinking .  What makes one string type/brand (same gauge) easier on the fingers?  maybe I should start another topic on that? Or leave it here?

21 hours ago, styler said:

Ok after using them a little but I do have a question.   To me I'm experiencing just a smidge less comfort than I did with the factory strings. like maybe I'm having to press down harder.

Its not terrible and I can manage but it does get thinking .  What makes one string type/brand (same gauge) easier on the fingers?  maybe I should start another topic on that? Or leave it here?

I tried em and found they had a slight more tension(maybe not) and what really stood out, the high E and the B seemed like they were reversed by the feel(but they weren't). The sound seemed like the brightness had been slightly rounded of just a hair. I had em one 2013 modern classic gibson hummingbird. 

Edited by the other side