Gibson Brands Forums

Pop Quiz!!

Slogold

Something's up with the serial number.

Madguitarist78, what's wrong with the binding? Do you mean over the frets? That's not always a good indicator because the guitar may have had a refret and the owner did not want to pay the extra money to have the binding go over the frets.

Something's up with the serial number.

Madguitarist78' date=' what's wrong with the binding? Do you mean over the frets? That's not always a good indicator because the guitar may have had a refret and the owner did not want to pay the extra money to have the binding go over the frets.

[/quote']

That could happen, but I wouldnt buy one with no binding over the fret ends, they just don't look right... anyway, the bridge is also wrong and there are other things.

The front of the headstock tells me it's real. The rest of the guitar doesn't.

Again' date=' something is up with the serial number. Built on the 800th day of 2008?[/quote']

Yes man, 2008 was one of those years...

The headstock does look good, maybe they just took off the headstock of a real gibby and aplied it? It might not be a chinese counterfeit but a "custom job" done in there with an epi and some gibson leftovers... :-&

The serial number can't be right... wasnt the custom a custom shop guitar in 2008?

As has been mentioned it's a fake but they are getting better.

Although the bridge posts are screw-in and the stop-bar is too square-edged they Did get the two-screw TRC correct.

The shape of the heel of the neck isn't right but that's inconclusive without there being other odd issues.

As the ad's been deleted I guess it was pulled.

Edit : Might the picture of the headstock be that of a genuine Gibson LP Custom put there to fool people?

Archived