Gibson Brands Forums

That "Live at Leeds" Sound

heymisterk

Hi All,

Lately, I've really been getting into The WHO's "Live at Leeds/Isle of Wight/Woodstock" sound. I think I have the raw materials: an SG Classic with the P-90s and a Mesa tube amp.

I certainly am going to experiment, but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what amp/guitar settings I might start with. I know he used a Univox Fuzz for some parts, and I have a VooDoo Labs Fuzz as well.

Any pointers would be great!

Thanks.

I got that Leeds sound with a friend's 2002 Special (that had been retrofitted with P-90's a la Classic) through a basic little VOX Pathfinder combo. Believe it or not, it blew my freakin' mind. Sounded bonecrushing through an extension cab too! Those big 'ol single-coils are the way to go for that sound...and you can never go wrong with a Vox of just about any kind for Who. :-$

H-Bomb

I'm a huge Who fan and I have an SG Classic so let me tell you my set up. I know Pete used a Univox fuzz, but those are rare these days, but he also used fuzz faces earlier and those are easily found (made by dunlop).

He used Hiwatt amps but I use my Fender Blues junior (mostly because that's all i have). Use the clean channel, but turn it up loud enough so its starts to overdrive. Now I have one of the pickup volumes at 10, but I put the other volume switch (usually the bridge pick up) to about 4-5. That means you can easily switch between his overdriven tones (think heaven and hell, young man blues) and clean tones (i'm a boy, amazing journey)

This is just my set up but it works pretty well. Hope that helps

I'm a huge Who fan and I have an SG Classic so let me tell you my set up. I know Pete used a Univox fuzz' date=' but those are rare these days, but he also used fuzz faces earlier and those are easily found (made by dunlop).

He used Hiwatt amps but I use my Fender Blues junior (mostly because that's all i have). Use the clean channel, but turn it up loud enough so its starts to overdrive. Now I have one of the pickup volumes at 10, but I put the other volume switch (usually the bridge pick up) to about 4-5. That means you can easily switch between his overdriven tones (think heaven and hell, young man blues) and clean tones (i'm a boy, amazing journey)

This is just my set up but it works pretty well. Hope that helps[/quote']

This was great advice. Thanks for your help!

Archived